UltraCam 12mm rods?

• Premium Member

if the rod spacing is the same you can just have the nearest machine shop to make you some adapters similar to these ones but from 12 to 15mm: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15mm-19mm-Rod-Bridge-Adapter-Sleeve-fr-Support-Rail-System-DSLR-Rig-Follow-Focus-/171280609095?hash=item27e11eaf47:g:uJAAAOxy0zhTM6tf

even tape would probably work for spacing as a temporary solution but as said the rod spacing needs to be the same than in 15mm system

• Premium Member

It's sort of tricky because those adaptors are designed to allow smaller rods to go into larger holes, whereas our correspondent needs something that would allow larger rods to be supported in a smaller hole.

On the upside, that may just mean a sort of plug adapter with a 12mm OD and a shoulder to accept 15mm rods.

So you need an adaptor with two 12mm holes 90mm apart and two 15mm holes 60mm apart.

I'm not sure what the situation is as regards rod to lens height. I don't believe it's standardised.

P

Thanks. I think I could do that myself. It's a shame they don't make any adapters tho. And to my surprise many people have no idea about 12mm rods at all, even those who work in the industry. Strange.

• 6 months later...

By the way. I'm very happy with the baseplate I got. I'm using it with my Blackmagic and RED cameras and it's great. A little heavy when flying but that thing is built forever.

Edited by Hank Vadim

In fact I'm so happy that I actually got one more as a backup, a mattebox, and a follow focus. Follow focus needs special attention as it's dual follow focus and quality is great. I was told that UltraCam was created to compete with Panavision in the first place, I won't be surprised it that were to be true. Build quality is really great.