Website and Work

Will Barber

Hey all, I've been around here before but it's been a while so I figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Will Barber, and I'm a cinematographer. I'm recently out of film school, and have been working at Maine Media Workshops since May. My job here ends in November, and after that I'm shooting a short film (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sherman-senior-thesis-film-by-patrick-hogue#/) for a senior at the school I went to (feel free to donate if you're so inclined, every tiny amount helps).

However, my main mission here is not to fundraise for the film, but to share my work and get some opinions on my website, portfolio, and my work options going forward. I plan to move to NYC in early December, and my dream is to work completely freelance in the city. I've been looking for and applying to jobs, but having the flexibility to determine when I work and what I do is very appealing to me, though of course a job brings security and consistency. So any opinions anyone might have on my options for work in the future would be greatly appreciated.

So, without further ado:

http://willbarberfilm.com

• Premium Member

Hey Will,

I like the basic layout and style of the website, it's simple and easy to navigate, which is good. You REALLY need to cut a showreel though, having to click through into all of the individual projects in order to get a sense of the quality of your work is way too much effort - and I can easily see it putting off potential clients/producers.

You need a reel that compresses down all of the best things you've shot into a single short video - make it easy for people to decide whether they want to work with you. Because making it harder on them certainly isn't going to help!

Cheers,

Mark

• Upvote 1