Vision 3 50 Reversal?

Link doesn't work, but I gotta say, this looks interesting. It wouldn't be as good as Kodachrome, but features have been using this to give a period look (the upcoming FENCES shot most of its exteriors on 50D Vision3.)

I've got an unfinished Super8 film from 1980 that I was toying with resuming a ways back, but the death of Kodachrome put the brakes on that. Now I may have to reconsider ... '37 years in the making!' The main character is supposed to age a lot during the film, and I was thinking of reshooting the ending with myself at my current age ... would be nice to see a comparison of K40 with this 50D stuff.

• Premium Member

This is indeed Kodak's official rebranding effort proposal, with the new Kodak logo bearing the company name in vertical script also appearing on the new Kodak Ektra digital camera phone. BUT this is most definitely an error on the designers' part, to make 7203 a reversal film. The error coming probably from a shallow desktop research on Super 8. Nevertheless, this is great design and packaging for the relaunch on Super 8 in parallel to the new Kodak Super 8 camera, nicknamed the new "Kodak Neomatic Model 2016", and discussed HERE. I hope they go forward with this. Very "on trend", very "Impossible Project", very "Jetztzeit". B)

Love the graphics. Very sharp. And I would not be surprised if this product is actually real. I wouldn't even be surprised if the chemistry was ECN-2, not E-6.

It's surprising how well 8mm film holds up, given its tiny surface area. Using a proper scanner and a sharp lens is important, though.

KH, that sounds like an interesting project. ;-)

It's very possible that this is a vision3 based reversal. People have been doing this I test batches with the negative. The results are certainly not good, but you do get a positive image with some decent although inaccurate colors. I would definitely believe it if Kodak tweaked something to make it work.

• Premium Member

Nick Collingwood did some cross-processing with 500 T through E6 and posted the results in this thread over here, check it out.

Sound cartridges were more vertical than the silent cartridges, alright, but overall, their proportions and packaging were actually squarer than silent carts. To fit in any Instamatic cartridge, this graphic concept packaging would have to be quite big in size, and contain lots of empty space. Maybe space for some development chemicals in-box?
I wouldn't get too carried away with hopes for reversal made by Kodak. The proposition simply isn't there to make this a viable commercial product.

I don't think it's a mistake. On who's part? I've never successfully explained the concept of negative and reversal film to a non film maker or non film photographer. It just doesn't seem like a realistic mishap. I wouldn't be surprised if they just boasted while oblivious to Kodak's out dated secrecy campaign. Since all Kodak sees on any of it's social feeds are cry's for another reversal film or Kodachrome to come back. You can't replace reversal and Kodak is going all in on film, with the new camera and promo. They may offer a single daylight reversal with a prepaid mailer for newbies, just like the k40 days. The idea of a Vision3 reversal is insane! It will be finer grain than anything else, i'm guessing more scanner friendly... entirely new territory for MP reversal film none the less. The only other reversal stock I can think of that wasn't based from the still format line was Ektachrome VNF? The new Ektar 100 still film was derived from Vison3 I believe, real nice colors, finest grain film ever. A new reversal at half the speed could have some very tight grain and incredible colors.

I think better even than a reversal would be for them to set up a good timed print system. It really shouldn't be too hard to downsize one of the already available 16mm print systems. I actually like my Super16 prints from negative 7203 printed by Fotokem more than my E100D reversal.

I think Andec in Germany still makes super8 prints from negative.

I've always wanted to try this service, but too far away. I think S8 print services of the Vision negatives in the US would be the best middle ground option. The one example of S8 200T I saw projected looked really nice, a lot less grainy than a telecine.

Here's Kodak's response to the box pic on FB, "That was just a design prototype. Apologies for the misleading design!"

So the designer had wishful thinking ...or it's a leak? I don't really see how they can ignore the endless plea for reversal, Pretty sure they have more surprises in store to go with the new camera.

Edited by Anthony Schilling

I can only recommend Andec's super-8 prints from Vision3 negatives. They look great :)

At the moment I'm also expecting to get some super-8 reduction prints from 16mm negs back from Andec. Excited to see the results!

Edited by Heikki Repo