How Did They Light This

Hi there,

I was recently watching MR ROBOT and there were two scenes which were caught my eye in the way that they were lit, however I have little ideas as to how they did it!

I have uploaded screen shots here : https://www.facebook.com/bradley.shaw.104/media_set?set=a.10209473549450552.1073741857.1080325641&type=3

Please if any one could shine some light onto this it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Bradley

The first scene seems to be lit solely with a large soft source from outside the window. There is also a cheap fluorescent tube under the cupboard by the sink. The second scene is again lit with a source from outside the window, which seems to be slightly harder in this case. You can also see what appears to be fluorescent fittings hanging from the ceiling, one over the desk, which is keying the dark haired woman, and probably another over the filing cabinet on frame left of the wide shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I was recently watching MR ROBOT and there were two scenes which were caught my eye in the way that they were lit, however I have little ideas as to how they did it!

I have uploaded screen shots here : https://www.facebook.com/bradley.shaw.104/media_set?set=a.10209473549450552.1073741857.1080325641&type=3

Please if any one could shine some light onto this it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Bradley

What, in particular, seems to be the question here? The lighting crew obviously is in control of half light, as any crew would be. Instead of banging everything with a hard key, the choice was made to make the scene look like ambient light as would be reflected from the fourth wall or from a very broad source like windows. It is a realistic style as opposed to a hot Hollywood look. Very nice, but not the only way to go. Please let me hear what you have in mind.