Big Sources vs Small Sources for this specific look?

Say you were trying to replicate this shots for an upcoming project. Are big sources like HMI's the way to go? Or can this be accomplished with say small sources like Kino's, Leko's, 1k's etc?

I'm asking because in working on smaller projects those are usually the only options available and while they get the job done, is it worth going to the bigger sources more expensive sources if the option is there?

If the storyboard only calls for tight shots like these, would you go with the smaller sources for convenience, or would you still use big sources for a better output and higher quality of light?

Just as an instinct, what would be the first choices in terms of sources that would come to mind if you were to replicate these exact shots?

Screen_Shot_2016_10_25_at_12_11_02_PM.pn

Screen_Shot_2016_10_25_at_12_11_41_PM.pn

Screen_Shot_2016_10_25_at_12_11_24_PM.pn

What sources would be you go to here? Would you go for small sources such as Kinos, Leko's etc or would you request HMI's and bigger sources if possible?

Edited by Jamison Madison

You could duplicate these looks in close-up with pretty much any lamp and the right gels and diffusion. The problems arise when you have to light a wide shot, where you can't use small lamps because they'll be in shot. You should think of what the widest angle will be on the scene, and how you want that to look, then choose appropriately sized units.

What dd the other angles on these scenes look like?

You could duplicate these looks in close-up with pretty much any lamp and the right gels and diffusion. The problems arise when you have to light a wide shot, where you can't use small lamps because they'll be in shot. You should think of what the widest angle will be on the scene, and how you want that to look, then choose appropriately sized units.

What dd the other angles on these scenes look like?

Thanks Stuart, that's very helpful. Like you said, the area needed to cover on wides shots would determine the light source.

But say for example If it was simply duplicating these 3 shots exactly as you see them there, not any wider, not any close and no other coverage, would you go with smaller sources or would you still choose HMI's or bigger sources if cost wasn't an issue?

• Premium Member

I can't see the pics for some reason but in smaller shoots my favourite fixtures are 2K tungsten fresnels (normally two or three of them if I have possibility to power them up) and then one or two sets of 300, 650 and 1000 tungsten fresnels with couple of Firestarters (1k VNSP par cans) if needed. if HMI is needed I mainly use 1.2K and 2.5K Par:s, they can be powered from normal 10/16A wall outlet and are powerful enough for smaller shoots. Kino Flo:s or small hmi:s quite rarely, in most situations a tungsten fresnel bounced from a white styrofoam or kapaboard is much more versatile for me than a Kino fixture and can be adjusted more than a Kino in terms of colour and light output, spread etc.. but it depends a lot of the situation, sometimes a Kino or a LED panel works nicely.

I highly recommend the 2K:s and Firestarters if you are on a budget and have possibility to power them up, they are lifesavers in small productions (good output, cheap to rent) and can be powered with any type of 30 year old cheap-o genny :lol:

• Upvote 1