Narrative short filmed in Brazil

Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you a short film I directed called "The Man Who Knew Too Little". This is a detective type story inspired by an old TV show called "The Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (I'm a huge fan of that show).
This was my first short and I shot this over a period of two years actually, lots of problems but we finally got it made. It's about 20 minutes long but I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to criticize, comment, etc.
frame11_720p.jpg
frame08_720p.jpg
frame01_720p.jpg
frame03_720p.jpg
frame12_720p.jpg
Available for download at https://vimeo.com/173146424

Thanks, I tested different grain patterns from Cinegrain but I decided to go with their Kodak 5217. I think the problem is that I shouldn't have uploaded this version to Vimeo. I'm not very technical but I read somewhere (maybe from you) that the compression they use in sites like Youtube and Vimeo doesn't work well with grain (and noise).

This version was for festivals only (withoutabox screener, etc) which in the end turned out to be a major disappointment :-)
But we had a screening of this film in a local theater a few months ago (2K projection, DCP) and the owner of the place let me watch it two days before (so in case of any problem, I could make last minute adjustments). I was a bit worried about how the grain would look on the big screen and even considered changing it to a finer grain pattern but at least to my eyes, it looked great, less "distracting" than in this version you saw on Vimeo so I decided not to change anything.
I didn't noticed anything with the highlights though but now that you mentioned it, I'll take a closer look. Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

I think you did a really nice job mimicking a Hitchcock film - the camera work and pace...brings back all the fond memories and fun of his films. For a first short I think it is a success and you should keep going! Just wanted to say 20min is a really hard length for film festivals (it means you take the place of 4, 5min films or 2, 10min films - so it needs to be really amazing). Also as the film is such a strong homage to hitchcock and that period of cinema it might not be exactly what festivals are looking for. I urge you to build on this work with more of your own voice.

good luck!

Edited by Albion Hockney

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow man !! You achieved a very professional look. It really feels like a classic !

I think vimeo somehow decreases the contrast and the exposure, because it looks different to your screen capture stills in your first post.

Thanks, I actually added a bit of contrast to these stills, the final DCP version that we screened last year had similar contrast to this version you saw on Vimeo (by the way, I'm visiting your country in a few days).

• Upvote 2

Thanks, I actually added a bit of contrast to these stills, the final DCP version that we screened last year had similar contrast to this version you saw on Vimeo (by the way, I'm visiting your country in a few days).

Ahaah, I thought the screened version was like that already.

And, welcome to Tunisia, man ! I hope you enjoy your stay.

If you don't mind me asking, is it cinema-related visit?

And another thing, also if you don't mind, I know I'm new to the forum and we don't know each other, but cinema is my weak spot and it makes me want to ask you if you'll be in the capital and if you have time, maybe we can meet and have a cinematic discussion. I know it may sound weird of me asking that.

Ahaah, I thought the screened version was like that already.

And, welcome to Tunisia, man ! I hope you enjoy your stay.

If you don't mind me asking, is it cinema-related visit?

And another thing, also if you don't mind, I know I'm new to the forum and we don't know each other, but cinema is my weak spot and it makes me want to ask you if you'll be in the capital and if you have time, maybe we can meet and have a cinematic discussion. I know it may sound weird of me asking that.

PM'd you.