Best Option for E6 Processing of 16mm from the UK. Advice please!

Gareth North

Hi All,

I used to send my Ektachrome 100D film to Andec in Germany for processing care of the Widescreen Center in London who would do shipments of all film sent to them in the UK every week. There processing was amazing! I have learned that they have shutdown there 16mm Colour Reversal Processing as of October 2016 stating that there is no new Acetate based E6 Color Reversal 16mm film on the market.

I cannot argue that of this moment this is true and they have certainly processed this type of film 2 years since Kodak stopped making the last rolls of Ektachrome 100D in 16mm. So no doubt people still needing processing are dwindling. But naturally I have 2 shot rolls and proabably another 10 rolls still to shoot.

I'm told to send film to super8 reversal lab in the Netherlands. Just wondered if anyone knows if:-

1) They actually process E6 100D Film in 16mm?

2) If they are comparable with Andec's superb processing?

3) That there rollers won't damage the Super 16mm picture area?

3) If Film Ferrarnia finally get there colour reversal E6 product on the market if Andec would restart processing it in 16mm?

Best Regards

Gareth North

Good to hear from you Gareth...also relieved that i'm not the only E6 shooter in the UK concerned about losing Andec's superb service :(

Like many, I've got a freezer of 16mm E100D and I usually have 3 cameras loaded up. I do hope Andec reconsider their decision when they have finished refurbishing the lab. I'm also concerned about possible wear outside the regular-16 picture area. I've never used another European lab, and would be grateful for any feedback from 16mm col reversal film-makers.

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

So Andec are refurbishing there lab then are they? Glad there commiting to doing such things. I understand why they would have pulled there E6 processing (no pun there) if there is no great quantities of new E6 colour 16mm film out there for people to use then people wont need processing.

I really just wish the Film Ferrania guys would of by now been producing their new E6 stock before all the last rolls of Kodak 100D stock were spent and labs were not having much new rolls ariving. But no such luck my worst fear has been realised my fave lab has stopped processing E6.

I know there is this Agfa Whitner Chrome but I have never shot it. I take it that the Wittner Chrome was in no way being uptaken as a Kodak replacment? I see Andec is still selling it but I presume no one is buying it or using it or that agfa has discontinued it also?

I'm hoping this Ferrarnia film does come some way close to the beautifull saturation of Ektachrome as I have took part in there kickstarter for x3 rolls of 16mm film (still hoping and patiently waiting 2 years later).

Film and photo were the first lab I ever sent 100D to when first starting to shoot film and they wanted a minimum of 400ft. I was lugging around my 400ft magazine back then so I personally dropped of a can of 100D film off and was given an unexpected and nice tour by the owner and I was I supposed pleased with the results (I knew no better at the time). I then next sent x4 100ft loads to them and asked them to put them on a reel for me and they were really dusty and muchy so next time I sent film to Andec and was blown away with the difference. The smell of a freshly processed role from them was really something then came the glory of projection No dust, No muck or anything and no abrasions of any kind on the film absolutely pristine and colour grain structure so much better. That was my expereince of them about 8 years ago. Maybe different now?

What other E6 labs are there that people know are as good as Andec? It would be nice to hear from somone who has expereinced Andec quality level.

I'm thinking of just forgetting about colour reversal and shooting Kodak 50D negative and getting prints made at Dejonghe post producion on kodak 2383 stock. The print stock they've had available for a decade. Its 3 times more expensive but ho hum at least its a more reliable option.

No colour UK 16mm optical printers available only black and white.

Best Regards

Gareth North

Bolexh16user.net

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

So Andec are refurbishing there lab then are they? Glad there commiting to doing such things. I understand why they would have pulled there E6 processing (no pun there) if there is no great quantities of new E6 colour 16mm film out there for people to use then people wont need processing.

I really just wish the Film Ferrania guys would of by now been producing their new E6 stock before all the last rolls of Kodak 100D stock were spent and labs were not having much new rolls ariving. But no such luck my worst fear has been realised my fave lab has stopped processing E6.

I know there is this Agfa Whitner Chrome but I have never shot it. I take it that the Wittner Chrome was in no way being uptaken as a Kodak replacment? I see Andec is still selling it but I presume no one is buying it or using it or that agfa has discontinued it also?

I'm hoping this Ferrarnia film does come some way close to the beautifull saturation of Ektachrome as I have took part in there kickstarter for x3 rolls of 16mm film (still hoping and patiently waiting 2 years later).

Film and photo were the first lab I ever sent 100D to when first starting to shoot film and they wanted a minimum of 400ft. I was lugging around my 400ft magazine back then so I personally dropped of a can of 100D film off and was given an unexpected and nice tour by the owner and I was I supposed pleased with the results (I knew no better at the time). I then next sent x4 100ft loads to them and asked them to put them on a reel for me and they were really dusty and muchy so next time I sent film to Andec and was blown away with the difference. The smell of a freshly processed role from them was really something then came the glory of projection No dust, No muck or anything and no abrasions of any kind on the film absolutely pristine and colour grain structure so much better. That was my expereince of them about 8 years ago. Maybe different now?

What other E6 labs are there that people know are as good as Andec? It would be nice to hear from somone who has expereinced Andec quality level.

I'm thinking of just forgetting about colour reversal and shooting Kodak 50D negative and getting prints made at Dejonghe post producion on kodak 2383 stock. The print stock they've had available for a decade. Its 3 times more expensive but ho hum at least its a more reliable option.

No colour UK 16mm optical printers available only black and white.

Best Regards

Gareth North

Bolexh16user.net

I would think there must be a considerable quantity of col reversal film around, needing E6 processing. The Wittnerchrome 16mm 200D is a good film if you allow for the increased grain. It runs so quietly and smoothly through a Bolex and being thinner it's possible to get more on the spool. Although not really the same as Ektachrome, the colour and tone isn't bad.

I think most customers would be happy with the prepaid stock + processing + workprint deal we have: any Kodak Vision 16mm negative stock (50D up to 500T) in 100 ft or 400 ft reels.

You buy the prepaid stock from us, it comes with a sticker and you get a workprint or HD Quicktime. Send a PM for prices, they are very close to the Reversal stock plus processing only.

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for spotting this thread. I did contact you in May about printing a big chunk of my Kodak negative stock but in the end never got round to sending it your way or being able to afford it then.

I have never seen any of my colour negative projected as I only projected reversal stock for home movie / family type stuff. Negative stock was always for my film projects which has only ever been scanned once then stored. With things as they are it makes sence to switch entirely neg and print the stuff I want to carry on what has beena family tradition.

I'll send you an email tonight Dirk! I do want to pursue this now and see what kind of results I can get printing it. I don't dislike the colour palette of Vision 3 stock I can imagine what the results will be like of it printed judging from my scans but if you were shooting things you knew were destined only to be projected in a home movie way Ektachrome 100D was such a stunner of a stock for that purpose. I truly feel blessed even though I came in at the tail end of the Ektachome era that I got to shoot rolls and rolls of it, it truly is / was magical stuff.

Still interested to hear from anyone that has sent Super 16mm Reversal to Super 8 reversal lab in the Netherlands!

Best Regards All

Gareth

bolexh16user.net

Gareth,

I started my career in Ektachrome reversal, first ME-4 and ECO-3, then VNF-1. I was one of the very few to run 35mm ME-4 process. Once you have seen a 7203 printed and projected, I don't think you will want to go back to reversal. Ektachrome was good in its day, we have moved on.

Gareth,

Gauge film do E6 reversal processing for £26 per 100ft.

They have a 4 week cycle for processing.

I'm new to film processing, so check that this is the correct process for your film.

I've got films back within about 9 days of their cut off time (see their website for details).

I've used them a couple of times now, and have had some very old degraded Kodak 7276 (B/W reversal) give surprisingly good results.

Hope this helps.

Glen

I've always sent all of my 8mm film (B&W, E-6 and ECN-2) to Gauge Film in Dudley. Their quality of service and processing has always been outstanding, 90% of what I shoot is other people's weddings so I'd stop using them if I had even the slightest doubt about their quality.

As they use Lomo tanks for all of their processing it means that 16mm has to be processed in 50ft lengths, so you'll lose one frame from the middle of the roll. Whether or not that's important to you is something only you can decide!