Lighting to create a party scene

Paul Bates

Hey guys,

A new member here. I wondered if anyone here could possibly help with some advice on creating lighting to look like a party scene? It's for a fashion shoot and will be in a studio. I did something not too dissimilar using source fours intermittently flashing with venetian blinds effects on the front. I'm looking for something more smokey with colourful lights flashing this time, maybe even having one or two of the lights in shot themselves. I have added a couple of reference pictures to give you an idea of something similar in terms of look. It's more about the mood and less about the set as there will only be one model in shot.

Thanks for any help!

post-71492-0-55841200-1479362329_thumb.jpg

post-71492-0-42323400-1479362333_thumb.jpg

Also, Lustr's and skypans are super awesome for this type of thing! Find yourself someone who's good with dmx/board op and you'll get some really nice stuff. Obviously a good amount of haze will help you out.

https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Lighting-Fixtures/Source-Four-LED-Series-2/Source-Four-LED-Series-2-Lustr/

Also, Lustr's and skypans are super awesome for this type of thing! Find yourself someone who's good with dmx/board op and you'll get some really nice stuff. Obviously a good amount of haze will help you out.

https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Lighting-Fixtures/Source-Four-LED-Series-2/Source-Four-LED-Series-2-Lustr/

Did you mean ARRI Skypanel? Not every project needs or can afford the latest toys.

How funny is that, I was gaffing yesterday and we created a very similar look.

We taped RGB LED strips to the low ceiling, they gave us the exposure base as well as a subdued key. Then some strobes and source fours (you can also use par cans) and a bit of haze.

Arri L7-C, sky panels and others are more expensive but great. I'd go rent theater lighting for a fraction of the price as you don't need color accuracy.

Mirror ball works well with a source 4 or a dedolight

These are the basic ingredients, but how you arrange them is really up to your artistic taste