Canon C700

Robin R Probyn

Had a play with the C700 today.. not as bad design wise as I had thought just from looking at stills pic,s.. on the long side, body wise.. esp with the codex back on.. and quite wide too.. more Alexa size than F55..

Nice pic in the basic 709 set up they had.. on a very good monitor.. I wouldn't see it as run and gun type camera myself.. bit on the large side for any confined locations.. but a nice beast and not as tacky looking as i had thought.. admittedly it had the bells and whistles on.. and the buttons light up really nicely when powered up..

The Variable ND on the Sony Fs7II is pretty amazing too.. has to be the future for all camera,s I think.. totally smooth.. very clever engineering.. funny they have it in the Fs5 bottom of the pile camera.. but the F55 doesn't have it... dont think it can be a retro up grade either.. even for feature/high end stuff this will be very handy.. real control over DOF.. and just very quick too.. as its electrical current, not effecting the image.. as glass ND can..or cheaper internal physical ND,s.. but also you can have it exactly where you want level wise.. I wonder if Sony will license this tech out,if they have patented it ?to other makers.. if they don't Sony will really be at an advantage over the others.

• Premium Member

The variable ND still puts another element in front of the imager to shoot through.

I've had nothing but problems with the FS7 and dust collecting on the imager. You have to dismantle the whole front of the camera to access it and blow off the imager. It's a shitty design in my view and the variable filter puts an even bigger road block between the back of the lens and the imager. As a cinematographer, I don't want the camera manufacturer to put a permanent object between the imager and the back of the lens. Removable like a RED OLPF? No problem.

It would be nice to have a variable ND that screws into the camera body, so it's easy to remove.

The variable ND still puts another element in front of the imager to shoot through.

I've had nothing but problems with the FS7 and dust collecting on the imager. You have to dismantle the whole front of the camera to access it and blow off the imager. It's a shitty design in my view and the variable filter puts an even bigger road block between the back of the lens and the imager. As a cinematographer, I don't want the camera manufacturer to put a permanent object between the imager and the back of the lens. Removable like a RED OLPF? No problem.

It would be nice to have a variable ND that screws into the camera body, so it's easy to remove.

Its true there is glass there.. most camera,s have an OLPF too.. and its there for a reason.. I would never shoot with out one.. even though I can remove the F5/55 one.. I think RED only did this as they were having problems in the first place..

But also there are no IR problems as its an electrical current "making" the ND.. the Fs7II probably has a better designed front end.. as the lens mount is now "PL" type and a new camera chassis. You might have been a bit unlucky.. I know a lot of people with Fs7,s.. they have complaints about the camera.. the totally useless VF rig etc.. but Ive never heard or read on the forums about dust on the imager being a common problem.. there,s no doubt the Mark II is a better camera though..

Re putting one on the front in a mattbox ?.. yes a good idea too.. but Im not sure how you build in the electronic control wheel into it.. would probably have to be built into the mattbox.. do able I guess.. but just having the control right there next to your hand is so handy..

Yes you would have to power it.. I guess Hirose.. or D tap.. and the actual dial itself somewhere on the rods I guess.. your right it would sell like hot cakes.. but my mission in life ,as far as camera gear goes, to have the least cables and anything that can be internal to the camera..I,ll buy that camera.. I cant believe the rigs some people have.. like a xmas tree.. that would drive me insane..

I just wonder if Sony will keep the tech to themselves.. presuming they have patented what ever tricky they do.. or sell it out to other makers.. I find the Sony internal ND,s to be ok .. and only ever now use a glass one for sunny days when I want a shallow DoF.. But often with the internals or glass.. its a bit too much or not enough.. this new system you can finesses to tiny, tiny degree.. I think all levels of camera work will benefit from news to star wars..