Hello from FILM Ferrania

David Bias

Yes, our first color film will be 100ASA and we will release additional speeds as we ramp up production. We would like to have 100, 400 and 640 ASA by this time next year (maybe 50 as well...)

That's great news ! potentially a new family of colour films on the horizon. Does that mean you'll be making those faster films in 16 and S.8 ? I can't quite see whether S.8 could cope with a 640asa film. Even 100asa is rather too fast for S.8 I think, with many cameras having fast lenses and XL shutters. But it could be interesting...

Rather outside this forum, but i know one or two stills photographers who'd be very interested in fast slide films. There seems to be more use of reversal now, maybe because it's even more analoggy than negative in that you can examine and appreciate the final image.

As for 16mm i'd be glad to have a 50asa film, for the reasons I gave before. And I do hope you can keep your Ferrania code numbers well away from the image for those of us who shoot in ultra-16 and wider !

• 2 weeks later...

That's great news ! potentially a new family of colour films on the horizon. Does that mean you'll be making those faster films in 16 and S.8 ? I can't quite see whether S.8 could cope with a 640asa film. Even 100asa is rather too fast for S.8 I think, with many cameras having fast lenses and XL shutters. But it could be interesting...

Rather outside this forum, but i know one or two stills photographers who'd be very interested in fast slide films. There seems to be more use of reversal now, maybe because it's even more analoggy than negative in that you can examine and appreciate the final image.

As for 16mm i'd be glad to have a 50asa film, for the reasons I gave before. And I do hope you can keep your Ferrania code numbers well away from the image for those of us who shoot in ultra-16 and wider !

On a very simple level, ALL of our films will be based on cinema formulae. All will have the potential to be used for cinema purposes - but obviously, especially when talking about S8, there are some film speeds that are somewhat pointless.

Good point about the code numbers. I will pass that along. But to some degree, we are bound by the finishing services we use until our own machinery has been removed from storage and integrated into the LRF.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...