questions about Ultra contrast filters

Thomas Cousin

hello,

the ultra contrast filters come in 2 series : from 1/8 to 1 and from 2 to 5.

what do you think about the strongest series ? too heavy for a common use ? or just what you need to "really" use the characteristics of these filters ?

and another question , can i see clearly the effect of these filters on the ground glass (shooting in s16mm) ?

i used them on video shoot, but not on film.

thanks

thomas

Edited by Thomas Cousin

• Premium Member

I often use an Ultra Con 3. It has a strong effect on contrast. I think it's the perfect strength for video shoots outdoors and such. Maybe someone can give you a better idea of what strength you would need for a film camera. My guess would be a 3 to be the strongest Ultra Con you would need, and I would think most people would normally use a 1-2 range.

• Premium Member

It depends on how you are going to post it. If the print is going to be skip-bleach processed, you might use an UltraCon #5 the way you might use flashing to improve shadow detail lost by the skip-bleach. Which filter you used may also depend on the negative or whether you are printing on Vision 2383 or Vision Premier 2393.

But for normal printing, most people would use a #1 to a #3 for a lower-contrast look.

These filters react to the amount of ambient light hitting the glass, so you need to judge each shot for which filter strength to use.

This is why you need to shoot tests.