rainbow circular flare

Stuart Allman

I saw a few second of a music video and I'd like to recreate the flare. Unfortunately I have a difficult time trying to get my Fujifilm lens to flare! I'm wondering if there are any filters I can add to the front of my lens to get a circular rainbow pattern like at 2:30 and 4:40 in this music video.

Stuart Allman

---------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

David (Mullen),

I just read the article in the ASC magazine about the Love Witch where you talk about using a diffraction filter to get a rainbow effect. Which one did you use? I see various types of these on Amazon, but it would be good to get your experience here.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart Allman

----------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

• Premium Member

I've seen those sorts of rainbow flares on older lenses -- you see them in "Alien", for example, shot on C-series Panavision anamorphics. I've seen similar things with other optics from the 1970's and earlier. I've only gotten them myself with my lensbaby.

I used a Cokin diffraction filter, it's a star filter that creates rainbow-colored lines, not the circular flare you are talking about.

lovewitch23.jpg

• Premium Member

some Super Takumar flares, that is one of the cheapest ones, the 55/1.8 : https://vimeo.com/37566512

this Helios 44 has anamorphic adapter in front of it but the circular flares happen similarly without it, only being less stretched: https://vimeo.com/9909943

Edited by aapo lettinen

Thank you all for the info. I have some old Super Takumar lenses that I inherited from my grandpa, so I might try those. I have an M42 to EF mount adapter. The Cokin diffraction filter gives a nice effect too, so I might buy one of those. I'm in an experimental phase with lens filters. I have a set of Zeiss primes, so I might try some of these effects with those lenses as well. When I had Canon zooms they flared really easy, but the Zeiss and Fujifilm lenses are more difficult when it comes to adding "character."

Unfortunately the closest I'll ever get to a Panavision lens is driving by their rental facility!

Stuart Allman

---------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...