Dolly In/Out with Slider

Brandon Wong

Hey everyone.

I'm a big fan of the dolly in/out camera movement. I was wondering if this could be achieved via using a camera slider like this : https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Stabilization-Capacity-Perfect-Photography/dp/B00LX1ERI6/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1480918709&sr=1-5&keywords=camera+slider

or would I need a higher base, accompanied with a longer lens?

Thanks!

You'd need boxes or similar to being that slider up to working height, since it doesn't seem to have a system of tripods.

24 inches doesn't seem to be that long for a track in or out, OK for those small moves close to an object or subject, but not for much more. Longer lenses tend to reduce the sense of movement, so you end up doing longer tracks.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member

I think you'd probably want a minimum 4' long slider for a push in. Works best with a riser for the tripod head though, so you get more distance from the rails and are less likely to get them in shot.

I also tried a slider last weekend. Again, I had no patience for the thing. You'd think someone would have developed a computer controlled motorized version by now.

Well yeah...it's called motion control. You could build a slider with the sled controlled by a stepper motor if you had the mechanical and electronic skills.

I also tried a slider last weekend. Again, I had no patience for the thing. You'd think someone would have developed a computer controlled motorized version by now.

I've seen a lot of motorized versions in various videos:

Edelkrone: It's Time to Discover SliderPLUS All Over Again

Konova K5 motorized slider kit

Here listing on B&H of motorized sliders - LINK

I just saw one with pure mechanical motion - "Using a clockwork combined with spring energy, Modo doesn't require any power, controllers, cables, or programming to operate, resulting in a compact and easy to use linear motion solution."

Cinevate Inc Duzi Slider v3 and Modo Motion Time Lapse Kit (24")

:)

Best

I.

Kessler's Second Shoot is good for lighter camera packages. They also make a system called CineDrive for heavier builds. We own a Second Shoot for timelapse and it works great. I would imagine it would handle push in and pull out shots well if using a DSLR or similar weight camera.

http://www.kesslercrane.com/motion-control

• 1 month later...

Dolly in/outs are of course possible with a slider. At that short length, motion control is a must in my opinion, as you'll want the entire move, start to finish, to be useable. Motion control will give you that accuracy, as slow as you like also.

I've been using the ''Digi Slider'' for years. It's brilliant and reasonably priced

• 1 month later...

What I've done with slider moves without risers for the head is:

- Place tripods where you want movement to start and end. Take the forefront tripod and lower it down (depending on how wide or tight your frame is), and get it to the height you need until you no longer have the slider in your frame.

I've had success doing this, without noticing too much of a vertical change in camera position. I actually enjoy a little vertical movement because it's not something necessarily used in low-budget films.

Good luck!