Cooke Xtal Xpres lenstest....

Hi guys,

I will do a camera/lenstest tomrrow with the Cooke Xtal Xpres anamorphotic lenses and was wondering if anyone got some experience with these and can tell me what to expect from this old glass? We’ll use the ALEXA Mini…

Also, my last anamorphic shoot must be ages ago and I don’t quiet remember the difference in terms of procedure of the lens test…..any advice?
what about that check test chart re. distortion….guess I need to shoot it for every less, right?

thanks!
m

If you're testing prior to camera checkout, then you just need to make sure that the lenses are working properly and that the focus matches the focus scale. If you're testing more generally, perhaps to compare them with other lenses, then you might want to test for breathing, distortion, aberrations, flare, bokeh, and any other characteristics which interest you.

I really like the xtal express. The set I've used a couple of times has come from Panalight in Rome.

Shot this ad with them http://marcelzyskind.com/portfolio/martini-play-with-time

It was was mixture of the xtal express and my Lomo spherical. The Neon Demon I believe was shot with the Xtal lenses.

And btw shooting charts with them would usually scare most people away.

Edited by Marcel Zyskind

Thank you Mark, yes in the old days pushing the stock would have been the way. Now it's all done digitally. It's shot on the Alexa Mini.

That's a gorgeous spot Marcel, bravo! What did you do to bring out the grain structure like that? Push the stock a stop or two?

• Premium Member

Thank you Mark, yes in the old days pushing the stock would have been the way. Now it's all done digitally. It's shot on the Alexa Mini.

Wow, well it was a very convincing emulation. Did you do anything else to the picture (besides adding the grain) to give it that look?