Arriflex BL

Mark Day

Can anyone tell me what type of lens mount is on the Arriflex 16BL. I realize there are special (very expensive) lenses made specifically for that camera but the manual also gives me a choice of other lenses. Is the lens mount proprietary to this particular camera? Are there lens adapters?

Thanks!

If you look at the 16BL manual the lenses that will fit are listed. The Cinematechnic chap goes into that too on his website. Old Scneiders may be a cheap option for primes. The early 10-100 zooms used to be cheap too, but the pocket camera people have maybe raised the demand.

Fairly sure you can fit Arri-S (standard) mount lenses to the camera, Arri-B (bayonett).

If you look at the 16BL manual the lenses that will fit are listed.

I did. There weren't a whole lot of choices, but I guess that's the way I'll go for the time being. Almost wish now I hadn't bought the camera. I have an Arriflex 16S. What do I need with another?

• Premium Member

The BL is so loud anyway, the lens blimp doesn't really make that much of a difference. I've shot with one and without one, the camera was still loud.

ANY Arri Bayonet lens will work, there are literally 100's of them on ebay at any given time. My entire lens kit is B mount because you can adapt very easily to other cameras. So the investment on B lenses is worthwhile in my opinion.

Since the BL is a straight 16 camera, you won't need anything special.

The BL isn't a bad camera, I shot with it a lot over the years. The Arri S is a lot smaller, but it's A LOT louder as well. Where the BL can be a crystal sync sound camera (depending on the electronics) the Arri S can't, it's an MOS camera. The Arri S is also a 100ft daylight spool camera. Yes you can find 400ft magazines for it, but then things get more expensive because people get a premium for them on ebay. If you don't care about a quiet sync sound camera, buy a Bolex. My EBM is small, has pretty good registration and isn't nearly as loud as the Arri S.

OK. When I put in "Arriflex Bayonet Mount", I don't really get a whole lot. An suggestions as to what the best "search" nomenclature would be?

ANY Arri Bayonet lens will work, there are literally 100's of them on ebay at any given time. My entire lens kit is B mount because you can adapt very easily to other cameras. So the investment on B lenses is worthwhile in my opinion.

The deluge of manufacturers making adapters may confuse your search results. You will easily find images of both arri-s and b lens mounts (on orig lenses) online. The older standard mount lenses present an oportunity. Schneiders look very nice. The old Zeiss 10-100 zooms look very sharp. I would look there for the possible bargains. Try and meet some older cameramen, film makers who have some they are not using. They will explain these mounts to you in person very easily. Borrow, rent, buy....get out and about and learn the shizzle that you need to know...it's fun!

Mark, what lenses do you have for your Arri 16S. Did you check if they fit the 16BL. I think the 16BL had a closer mirror so not all lenses fit. This is talked about in other threads by guys like Dom Jaeger, and also on the Cinematechnic site. I would never just throw a new lens on and run without explicitly knowing. You can always gently inch it forward and see what happens (I did not say that, I was not here)