Zeiss Kinamo film feeding problem

Juha Mattila

Geetings all,

I just bought Zeiss Kinamo 35mm camera. I love it but I have hard time to rolling the film to mag and when I finally get it done film feeds very poorly. Without cover mag works fine. I think I need to roll the film precisely even that it wont touch the cover. Even then Im not sure that it wont touch the cover.

I loaded mag without cover in darkroom to my camera (it was not easy!) and it works now, but I wonder if anybody have any tips for how to load mag way I could use the cover on it. Any advise would appreciated!

Hi Dough and thank you for your reply.

It's not that there is not enough power in spring motor because when I put the cover on the mag and run the camera it eats first loop and film gets jammed. Friction is just too much for the sprocket teethes and pressing shoe. When I pull the film from fully closed mag I can feel it is too heavy. I don't see any dents or nothing on the magus. I have two and both have same problem.

I hope it would have daylight spool system. I Even stated to think if I could modified it and make some 25m spools, but I don't want to mess this beautiful historical camera.

Shooting without mag cover wouldn't be so bad but loading the film in darkness is so hard. Actually what I did is that I put the cover on the mag lightly and then opener the door just a little to see just enough to load the film.

• Premium Member

Hi Juha,

so the problem is the feed side gets hard to pass the film through when the mag lid is on?

Are you loading the film on a core of some kind? Could it be sitting high and getting pressed by the lid? If the mag is feeding without friction when the lid is off, the lid must be pressing somewhere, you need to try and work out where. If not the core/spindle, maybe the throat?

Hi Dom,

I didn't use any core. I spooled the film around stick close to same size that is in mag and then just slide the film off and put in the mag. Now I feel pretty stupid because I did try it again with spoiled film and I press it 100% flat and it worked fine. When I spooled film in dark I couldn't make the film roll flat enough. I will try harder next time.

Maybe I should make some kind of jig for my film rewinds…

I would be curious to know do you spool your films for Kinamo?

Sorry Doug for misspelling your name!

• 3 years later...
  • Premium Member

I think he found that it was simply the film wound on the feed “stick” was not flatly wound. When he pushed it back flat it worked ok. So he just needed to find a way to spool the film onto the feed stick evenly in the dark.