ORWO processing and Kodak chemicals?

Sv Bell

Hi folks!

I started to shoot some footage with my Krasnogorsk-3 16mm camera.

I'm also processing my film stock at home in a Jobo tank. I see some weird results, I'd like the veterans on this board to take a look and tell mw what could be the cause of this.

I think it is a bad processing, maybe caused by the fact I'm using Kodak chemicals to process ORWO film stock. Is there anything I need to adjust? Maybe longer or shorter time in the developer bath?

The film is negative UN54, I reversed it in post.

In the samples, I know the frame rate is wrong and there's a flickering, I'm still testing some avenues to digitize 16mm using my own equipment. :D Both videos are from the same 16mm reel, different sections.

Clip show as is, unmodified, unfiltered, only reversed to positive in post:

Clip filtered, with contrast boosted in post:

Any ideas, recommendations...?

sv

The flicker issue is probably due to the synch between the film projector and the video camera. When capturing the same reel frame by frame, it goes away. So since the film is negative, I assume I need to leave it longer in the developing bath? I left it 5 minutes in the D76, and 5 minutes in the fix.

• Premium Member

sync issues and scratches at least.

It may help a bit to consistency if you pre wash the film before developing, depending on the emulsion. some films benefit a lot from this, others not so much.

the D76 works quite well with UN54 and mixing brand names doesn't matter when choosing film+developer combo. something else going on.

I suggest using pro telecine/scanning service for first tests when testing films so that you can rule out any home-made telecine's issues, then using home transfer later when you have finessed the processing steps

• Upvote 1