Blade Runner 2049

• Premium Member

Villeneuve hasn't let me down recently, his last two movies were very entertaining. I'm so excited he took on this project because I have a feeling he will hit it a home run, especially with Deakins shooting it. Villeneuve cares deeply about the source material and doing justice to the original film.

I'm happy Harrison is on board, though I have a feeling he will have a small role.

Looking forward to seeing a real trailer sometime during the summer.

One side note... I wonder if Warner will strike 70mm prints for this release... that would be seriously cool if they did, even though it's shot with the Alexa 65.

So does this end the conversation about Deckard being a replicant or not?

I believe the directors cut shows that he is.. the studio cut totally lost the whole point of the origami unicorn.. Deckard dreams about unicorns.. Gaff knows his dreams..shown by his making the origami one.. knocked over in the final scene.. therefore he is a replicant .. this was Scotts cut.. but the studio cut out the dream sequence .. in their typical artlessness ..

Yeah I guess Deakins will delight us with stunning smoking backlits and amazing silhouttes but Villeneuve to me is an overrated director, full of entirely branding topoi... the crisis of cinematic storytelling is definitely blown if the big budgets are only deliverable for shooting prequels or sequels... Here we have only an imagery of third hand, whereas the first Scott’s Blade Runner Scott was entirely indebted to the noir of the 30s and 50... it is not a good advertisement for cinema

I believe the directors cut shows that he is.. the studio cut totally lost the whole point of the origami unicorn.. Deckard dreams about unicorns.. Gaff knows his dreams..shown by his making the origami one.. knocked over in the final scene.. therefore he is a replicant .. this was Scotts cut.. but the studio cut out the dream sequence .. in their typical artlessness ..

From what I understood it's always been open to interpretation. Scott says he is, Phillip K. Dick says he isn't. I think I've even heard Ford doesn't think he is.

I bring that up because replicants only have like a four year life span right? So it's been a few decades now and he's still alive.

From what I understood it's always been open to interpretation. Scott says he is, Phillip K. Dick says he isn't. I think I've even heard Ford doesn't think he is.

I bring that up because replicants only have like a four year life span right? So it's been a few decades now and he's still alive.

Or is he alive ..? well yes its all good for films to have on going mysteries.. but does it not seem obvious..the dream of the unicorn .. Gaff makes the origami one (shown in also the last shot,being knocked over as the leave the apartment ).. the dreams and memories of replicants are all made up.. Gaff knows Decker's dreams.. thats how he shows it.. of course it only makes sense if you show the dream sequence.. seemingly lost on the suits who made the release cut.. I haven't read the book.. but the film would seem so..?

You really can't belive all you read on IMDB !

The technical specifications always seem to be correct on IMDb. Never not seen anything that isn't true there. However I haven't heard anyone behind 2049 say what this has been shot with. But the Alexa 65 is such a popular camera now that I wouldn't be surprised.

• Premium Member

Roger expressed his view point on the larger imager Alexa 65 in 2015 before they went into production on Blade Runner. It was clear he wasn't that interested in the new box of tricks because it added post workflow headaches and he didn't see the necessity of the larger, higher resolution imager.

Yet Arri claims the movie is shot with the 65 and so do the press releases.

Not that it's a big deal, but it's just an interesting side note because that would mean non-anamorphic, which is a staple of the Blade Runner and in my eyes, critical to it's look. It's clear the cinematography will be spherical on the movie, which is unfortunate. Deakins isn't really an anamorphic guy anyway, he likes things clean.

• Premium Member

I don't understand what you mean. Are you criticizing or being sarcastic?

I'm not that sure how much it looks like Blade Runner. Too much desert, not enough anamorphic flares.

Still, that's the trailer, I shall reserve judgment on the film, of course.

The technical specifications always seem to be correct on IMDb. Never not seen anything that isn't true there. However I haven't heard anyone behind 2049 say what this has been shot with. But the Alexa 65 is such a popular camera now that I wouldn't be surprised.

I just checked deakins' site and he says specifically the 65 was NOT used.

Or is he alive ..? well yes its all good for films to have on going mysteries.. but does it not seem obvious..the dream of the unicorn .. Gaff makes the origami one (shown in also the last shot,being knocked over as the leave the apartment ).. the dreams and memories of replicants are all made up.. Gaff knows Decker's dreams.. thats how he shows it.. of course it only makes sense if you show the dream sequence.. seemingly lost on the suits who made the release cut.. I haven't read the book.. but the film would seem so..?

The dream sequence seems to suggest that he is a Replicant, and the original theater release tells us in VO that not all Replicants have to have a 4 year life span, but it never made sense to me that the LAPD would use a replicant to hunt other replicants when Deckard is quite obviously no match for the physicality of the people he is hunting. If they were going to go to all the trouble of having a highly illegal replicant working for them, wouldn't they have the strongest and smartest model there was?

I've always felt that Scott tried to shoehorn the 'Deckard is a replicant' idea into the film without paying too much attention to whether it made sense.

• Premium Member

The intellectual structure behind the movie is a bit vague compared to the novel.

The novel was written by Dick based on his fears of humanity becoming more like robots so in a sense, the replicants represent the worst trends in humanity and what defines humanity at its most human ends up being empathy (hence the test for empathy.) At one moment in the novel, Pris pulls the legs off of a spider and Deckard then kills the spider out of empathy for its suffering, which Pris doesn't understand at all. And the replicants don't understand humans interest in having pets.

Scott had a completely 180 degree concept, which was that the replicants are sort of super human children but whether Deckard is or isn't a replicant doesn't really matter to the plot or the themes of the movie -- to me, it's more interesting if he isn't a replicant but he has fallen in love with one.

• Upvote 1

I haven't read the book .. probably should !.. when the film came out I was quite into the is Deckard a replicant or not.. quite like a bit of mystery in a film.. !.. but yes good points.. maybe Scott did want to push that he was a rep.. or just wanted a bit of a spin going.. and the studio just thought the dream sequence was boring..

Yes also ultimately it isnt really a big deal.. I loved the film in the original cut anyway.. but still I like that bit of unknown..

I wonder if they actually bring all this up in the new pic.. or just ignore it totally..

Edited by Robin R Probyn