Dolly used in the movie wolf hall

Mathew Collins

Hi,

https://britishcinematographer.co.uk/gavin-finney-bsc-wolf-hall/

In the 2nd picture given in the above link Cinematographer Gavin Finney is using a Dolly.

What is the name of this Dolly?

How it is different from the normal track dolly?

Is the regular track dolly not used in shooting nowadays?

-Mathew Collins.

• Premium Member

If you read the article, the director asked that the show be handheld, so no regular dolly on track.

Sure, dollies moving on track are done all the time... why would one photo from one production make you think that dollies on tracks are no longer being used in the industry? If you see a shot of someone handholding a camera, you wouldn't think that all movies are handheld today?

I don't know the name of that particular dolly, it sort of falls under the general term "rickshaw rig" in some places, something that a steadicam or handheld operator can ride on. Many of them are built one-off by someone rather than mass-produced but perhaps that one exists in a catalog somewhere.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

If you read the article, the director asked that the show be handheld, so no regular dolly on track.

Sure, dollies moving on track are done all the time... why would one photo from one production make you think that dollies on tracks are no longer being used in the industry? If you see a shot of someone handholding a camera, you wouldn't think that all movies are handheld today?

I don't know the name of that particular dolly, it sort of falls under the general term "rickshaw rig" in some places, something that a steadicam or handheld operator can ride on. Many of them are built one-off by someone rather than mass-produced but perhaps that one exists in a catalog somewhere.

Besides the artistic (and accurate to me) choise of film handheld so the camera could react to the actores, I believe that, because they film on real location in all this historical places, the aren't allow to build a dolly there.

Is an amazing show and Gavin Finney did an incredible work with the lighting.

Edited by Giacomo Girolamo