Cameras You Own

Max Field

Love shooting on film. Cameras I own:

Arricam LT 3perf

Arriflex 235 3perf

One lonesome Master Prime 25mm

Looking to add an Arriflex 435Xtreme 3perf as soon as I can find one.

One of my dreams is to own an Arricam LT/ST at somepoint in my life. Even if it just ends up being a conversation piece in my home. One day, in the words of Wayne Cambell "it will be mine.. oh yes.. it will be mine". lol

Crikey, did I never respond to this?

The only "real" moving-image camera package I've ever just gone out and bought was a Panasonic AG-DVC200 with Fuji 20x6.4 zoom.

pan200ab.jpg

I don't know if there's any way to access posts from the early 2000s on this forum - the software has changed since - but I probably talked about it when I got it. It wasn't something I loved, particularly, I just needed something. I still miss the ergonomics - the grip, the zoom, the location of the controls, the way you could flip open the viewfinder, the balance and weight, even the way you could throw it onto a quick-release plate on a tripod. I'd learned these things on other ENG-style cameras. Most modern cameras are terrible by comparison. About the best thing at the same price is something like an Ursa Mini Broadcast. I still use the tripod I bought to go with it, the quick-release tripod plate that came with it, and the (much-recelled) PAG battery system.

I should have bought a DSR-500, or even the DXC-D35 docked to a DSR-1 DVCAM recorder, which was then becoming cheap. I knew that at the time, and might even still be wringing some value out of a better lens, but fresh out of college it was a financial bridge too far.

It was occasionally pressed into service to do something creative (this is my early work - as we say on the internet, plz, no bully.)

The DVC-200 paid for itself, but when it became time to upgrade there wasn't an affordable way to get an HD equivalent. Eventually I'd become used to not owning anything and the DSLR revolution was in full swing, and as other people have said things move so fast it's hard to invest, so I never have.

I did buy an EOS-40D to demonstrate raw recording with Magic Lantern. The pictures are wonderful; the user interface is not.

P

Completely agree with you on the ENG form factor, it truly is the best.. most modern cameras dont even compare! It's one of the reasons why I still use and own an F900.. i just love the image and the ergonomics of the camera body.

Well you can get any of the modern digital camera,s to mimic ENG shoulder style.. except the C300 of course :).. but instead of it being like that out of the box.. you have to give a fair chunk of coin to Arri/Vocas/Zacuto et el.. . 5 years or so after the change over to s35 CMOS there are actually a ton of very good 3rd party accessories around now.. and even a bit late to the party .. the manufactures themselves are doing it.. you pay for them.. but the camera,s themselves are massively cheaper than ENG,s were new..

Well you can get any of the modern digital camera,s to mimic ENG shoulder style.. except the C300 of course :).. but instead of it being like that out of the box.. you have to give a fair chunk of coin to Arri/Vocas/Zacuto et el.. . 5 years or so after the change over to s35 CMOS there are actually a ton of very good 3rd party accessories around now.. and even a bit late to the party .. the manufactures themselves are doing it.. you pay for them.. but the camera,s themselves are massively cheaper than ENG,s were new..

True, but I have never been a fan of frakensteining cameras, its just not my interest.

True, but I have never been a fan of frakensteining cameras, its just not my interest.

Yes.. sometimes its OT.. but thats mostly on board monitors, and/ or wireless stuff.. non V mount cams.. just a base/shoulder plate on a native V mount camera its pretty much like ENG..

DSLR rigs are the ones that get really nuts.. :)

Edited by Robin R Probyn