Types of films/videos cinematographer should have on reel?

Kendrick Gray

So I am heavy into interviews and music videos and but I just finished up my short film. I am wondering what type of work people look for on a reel that pleases there eye. Do you guys have any examples or your reel you could share with me? I'll been making my self busy trying different kinds of video work to get better looking stuff.

Hi,

I tried to make a reel with things I'd like to shoot more of and with a "style" I personally enjoy. My hope is that that could potentially lead to more jobs that suits my preferences. I mostly shoot tv-shows but would love to shoot more nature, drama and documentaries. So almost none of my typical work is included.

It's getting a bit old now... Next one will include more analog s16 shots since I'd love to shoot it more!

Don't know if this is a useful strategy but that's what I hoped for.

I also put some slow motion in there since it's been popular and some famous Swedish people to show I'm at a level where they let me close, haha!

Hope I could give you some ideas by sharing my thoughts, there are many more experienced people on this forum.

• Premium Member

I'd tend to agree with Kalle - show people the work that you want to be doing more of. And ONLY use your absolute strongest materials, any weak links bring down the apparent quality of the whole reel.

So, for example, my focus is narrative (with a little bit of commercial), so this the reel I put together with that in mind:

So I am heavy into interviews and music videos and but I just finished up my short film. I am wondering what type of work people look for on a reel that pleases there eye. Do you guys have any examples or your reel you could share with me? I'll been making my self busy trying different kinds of video work to get better looking stuff.

From my experience, people want to see a reel that looks like the project they intend to make. If it's for narrative projects, they may also want to see stars they recognize. This is a challenge for me, as I've been working mostly in Russia for the past 5 years...

For what it's worth.... here's my most recent reel :)

http://brucealangreene.com/director-of-photography-reel.html