Playback for film

Jacob Mitchell

Hey everyone!

I'm currently a student, and a huge fan of film. As soon as I can get my hands on it, I want to shoot it, even for jobs. I know there are tools such as video tap that allow for a feed of what is being shot, but I don't remember seeing any sort of playback device (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Of course the film can't just be processed and pulled through to be watched again, but couldn't the video feed on the monitor be screen captured, and then made to be easily reaccessed? I imagine new tools, hardware, and firmware would be needed for this function, but no doubt the technology is there.

• Premium Member

Yea, I mean "replay" systems are exactly that. They're tapes or hard drive capture systems that allow the tap to be recorded and then played back. They're pretty standard on sets that shoot with film, but the quality really sucks. So it's not like you can use them as any reference really.

I've been wanting to develop a HD video tap that pulls directly off the lens, instead of a ground glass, but it's a tall order and it's expensive to develop.