Rental House Advice in London

Johan Grimm

Greetings!

I'm coming across the pond next month for a two-week gig that I will need to rent gear locally for. We'll be shooting several locations around Barbican, so ideally the rental house I get hooked up with will be nearby.

I'm looking for an FS7 kit, a couple lenses, audio recorder and a small interview G&E kit.

Any recommendations for a reputable rental house in that area that will have these items?

Thanks!

JG

• Premium Member

There's not a lot in east London. Most of it's out west.

Be aware that a UK rental house's idea of a "small interview g&e kit" is likely to differ from the US norm, so be specific.

A place like Take 2 may not want to service something as small as an interview. I once used them to do more or less what you're proposing and they did it while moaning like hell. Never called 'em again. They exist to do big commercials and feature films.

VMI may present the same problem, as they're very large, but since they at least have FS7s so may be worth a shout.

Other names include Gearfactory, ProMotion.

P

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I think it's worth reinforcing that the touchiness of the police can be dealt with by knowing the rules.

I'm not going to give advice on the rules, but it's worth looking them up to your own satisfaction, and by taking a polite, but robust, attitude to police interference.

I think it's worth reinforcing that the touchiness of the police can be dealt with by knowing the rules.

I'm not going to give advice on the rules, but it's worth looking them up to your own satisfaction, and by taking a polite, but robust, attitude to police interference.

Police? Do you mean at the Barbican? I've never got as far as police being involved out there but I would have guessed they would have something special going on instead?

Freya

• 2 weeks later...