Outsight LEDs

I own an Arri L10 and love it. So versatile, low power consumption, great quality, etc. I want to get more LED lighting and just discovered Outsight and wanted to see if any one here has used their lighting before. I didn't see any reviews on B&H or Google searching. If you have any info, I would greatly appreciate.

The two models I am looking at are:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1269263-REG/outsight_css_1200_c_1200w_creamsource_sky_head.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1269215-REG/outsight_k_cs_2_b_ess_creamsource_doppio_bender_bi_color_led.html

The Creamsource Sky looks amazing if it actually outputs equivalent to a 5k tungsten, not to mention the flicker and full color options.

Thanks for any feedback!

-Bryan

No experience with either fixture you've linked to. The first appears to be a clone of Mole's LED skypan, the second a clone of an ARRI Skypanel. With the clones, I'd be concerned with build quality, ability to be repaired and outright false claims made in the specs.

• Premium Member

Outsight's stuff predates Skypanel by some time and the Doppio at least is much punchier and more directional. It's an array of little reflectors. I've only seem them at trade shows but their stuff is beautifully built and gives every indication of being a high end option, nothing like a clone.

Now, there certainly are Skypanel clones out there...

P

Thanks for the comments! I was aware that these were AU made and not clones. I appreciate the comments about build quality and testimony from Grieg Fraser.

Has anyone on this forumn used them first hand and also Arri's LED lights? Would love to know how they compare, in terms of reliability, color rendition (they claim cri 95; which i believe is the same as Arri), also dmx or wireless controls including flickering and color.

• Premium Member

CRI is a dubious measure of colour quality; TLCI is better. Outsight specify the Doppio at "typical 95, minimum 90," putting them inside the range of 85-100 described as "errors are so small that a colourist would not consider correcting them." Bear in mind many HMIs only score 90-ish.

I would be absolutely astonished if Outsight (or any quality LED manufacturer) had flicker issues these days. Outsight have their Flashbandit accessory which is intended to synchronise strobe pulses with shutter timing to avoid flash banding in rolling-shutter cameras, which suggests they have a very complete understanding of these issues.

I've been trying to get one in on demo for a while; watch this space. They're rare.

P

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I tested a daylight doppio with my spectrometer for a recent shoot, but the colour quality was pretty miserable. Particularly around skintones. Went for one of the Kino Celebs instead, which was much better, but still a long way short of my Area48s.

I think remote phosphor panels still hold a distinct advantage in colour quality over more conventional LED tech