If you can...

Test the whole workflow from capture to data back up with audio. Check with your editorial/post department that everything is being backed up correctly for conforming the camera original for color correction.

Meet with lighting, wardrobe, and art departments and discuss everything you can think of. Make sure art department is supplying practical lights for your interior locations. Ask about paint colors and colors of fabrics such as bedding if that applies etc.

Study the script very well and discuss with your director of course!

Make sure you will have lighting stand-ins too.

Don't assume anything.

If I think of more, I'll add them later :) Good luck!

Schedule a day with the director and A.D., scripty, standins (if the actors are unavailable) and art director and block out the scenes. Know where everyone is going to be in the actual location and what they'll be doing there.

Then everyone will be on the same page about everything. Art will know what areas of the location to dress, The A.D. will know how many setups are involved and you and the director will be in sync on what you're doing because you've seen it play out with the stand ins.

There's no better prep than this. It's not always possible but if it is, go for it. Use a still camera and then board the shots together and you'll know the whole thing. Scripty can also assemble and organize a shotlist for you based on what you and the director come up with.

I like to do what I call a "Cinematography Scheme" for each scene. Granted, I've never talked to anyone else who does this. But basically it is the logline for the cinematography of the scene. So that if someone asked me about the cinematography for a certain scene, I could almost just recite the "cinematography scheme." It covers: What's the color temp? Quality of light? Lighting motivation sources. Weird phrases to describe the feel of the scene (e.g. "land of the dead"). Will there be extra elements such as haze? Camera support. Color palette. Mood. etc etc etc.

• Upvote 1