Softness of light using Garware

Hi,

I was assisting a cinematographer. I have seen lighting assistants inserting 'cutted' diffusion filters(two numbers) into the scrim holder of a Tungsten Junior. Filters are of the same size of the lights front opening. I could see 'Garware' is printed on the side of the diffusion role.

From my understanding from this forum,

there won't be a softness to the light in the above setup because diffusion filter is of the same size of the light's opening, but there will be a decrease in the intensity.

Is my observations are correct?

Whats is a Garware?

Also he used Garware taped in the bandoor of 4 bank(4') Kinoflo. Apart of changing the 4 tubes into one source and decreasing the intensity, would there be any increase in softness of the light?

• Premium Member

Very mild effect in both cases. With the Kino, the area in front of the barn doors is slightly larger than the area of the tubes, and if you drop to one tube, you get the softness of the size of the front of the 4-banker so that's definitely softer than a bare tube.

Hi,

Whats is a Garware?

No state, country or hemisphere indicated in your profile.

Was your observation made in the UK? One of the former crown colonies, elsewhere? That might have helped to identify the product and manufacturer.

No state, country or hemisphere indicated in your profile.

Was your observation made in the UK? One of the former crown colonies, elsewhere? That might have helped to identify the product and manufacturer.

Just added country. I am from India. My observation made in India.

http://www.garwarepoly.com/clear-film/

http://www.rgbspectra.com/gateway.html

These kind of sheets are used in front of lights. I don't know these are any industry standard materials or a low cost alternatives.

• 10 months later...

Hi Mr.Colllins I'm from Kerala as well , and I believe we are friends on facebook too.

To answer your question ,i think , Gateway is basically tracing paper (equivalent to 129 heavy frost , i guess )and Gareware is its plastic version(Gateway rips and Gareware doesn't)

Since most often handled by Light Unit members , they usually are known by their brand name. Gareware adds a slight cool color to the light (just my observation)

• Upvote 1