WTB: Screw-in rods for Aaton XTR Prod

Aaron Webster

I've tried using replacements from Zacuto and Chrosziel that I had lying around but hte male threaded end size is too large. So I'm assuming the size is proprietary or just uncommon.

So if anyone has the actual rods off of one of these cameras I would LOVE it if you sold them to me :)

Thanks so much!
- Aaron

Do you know the thread size? Is it 3/8" like the A minima?

Once you know that you may be able to find some rods made in China. Just try some machine screws and see what fits...

Otherwise, any machinist or home hobby lathe operator could make a little threaded fitting that you could join to some 15mm tube. There are cheap ways to solve this if you are clever...

Hey Aaron,

If you can't find some inexpensive Chinese product with a 3/8' thread, then one can easily make a little fitting that will allow you to connect a 3/8" thread to a cheap 15mm rod. First check the tube internal diameter. If it's 3/8" or less you can just use a 3/8 bolt and trim it to the tube ID and glue together with some epoxy. The epoxy is only sressed in shear, no problem...You could otherwise use a shoulder screw, perrhaps soften the shank and trim that to the tube ID, with a tiny clearance for the epoxy.

Otherwise, machine the fitting from scratch. The whole thing can be hollow. A 3/8' thread at one end, a small flange, a thin tube at the other end that fit's into the rod. A fitting with thread at either end is possible, just more work...

The mount on the front of the XTR is not 3/8-16. Its a french camera and uses metric sizes. A 3/8-16 screw will fit in the mount but there will be a little play. I have a few extra Aaton iris rods, just 3" in my office but should have some other lengths at our warehouse so I can take a look for you next time I make a trip out there.

See the picture of 3/8-16 vs Aaton below:post-70839-0-58689900-1485541336_thumb.jpg

Stephen, so it's an M10 with 1.5mm pitch...? Is the A Minima the same, and they just give it as 3/8" in the manual for some practical reason, or in error...? The A Minima being a French camera...

Hi Greg,

I have never used the A Minima so I cant say unfortunately. I have a couple of XTR's so I was able to test.