Opinions needed: to CP-16R or not?

Gareth Blackstock

Hello,

I recently saw a CP-16R come up on ebay, comes with lens with black dot, magazine, and dead batteries. The bids have not started yet, but I wonder if I should go for it or not?

I currently own and use a K-3, and I have the wide gate and re-centering ring to convert it to super16, I have been using it for awhile and have no issues, and enjoy using it. I am working through my double perf stock before I convert to super16.

What I am wondering is this: should I buy another camera and slowly "do it up" over time, things like re-celling the battery myself, researching super16, fixing the lens.... or should I just stick with the K-3 which needs for nothing? I do intend on shooting more than 100 ft at a time, but by the same token I do not shoot alot of film.

The trouble is, being in Aussie, 16mm cameras do not come up often, and while there are many in the rest of the world, postage is prohibitive. And there are some cheap cameras on ebay, but most in knackered condition, no lens, no battery, and no mag. Fixing one up might cost way more than I want...

When I shot super8 I ended up with lots of cameras and having to do repairs on occasion, hence my website detailing camera disassembly, I do not want to do the same thing with 16mm, too bloody expensive!

I would appreciate some thoughts, maybe someone has been in the same position?

Gareth,

I own a quite well maintained CP-16R, but I researched and waited a whole year for a good deal, then pounced and still got lucky.

I'd be weary of this listing since the seller may not know if it even runs, unless you can get lots of answers and he/she has a high rating, sounds dicey.

I love mine, but it's not a "do it up" camera: the proprietary circuits mean it's kinda like a character in Logan's Run, it has a limited life span. Therefore it's not considered worth converting to Super 16. And the mount means CP mount or Arri adapter, and those Arri lenses have to clear the mirror.

So it's basically a very interesting old quiet sync news camera, fun to use but a dead end to develop. Maybe why no one seems to post in the CP-16 forum anymore- it's like an abandoned building!

I converted mine to Ultra 16 myself, but that isn't much of a big deal.

I'd have fun with the K-3 then if you wanna branch out, take your time and if you don't want a CP, maybe look into an Eclair, an Arri or an Aaton.

• Premium Member

I agree with peter, I'd just enjoy what you have. The CP16 is a real tank and honestly, having used them for years myself, I've come to really not like them. If you're going to invest in a sync sound camera, far better to get an Arri SR or Aaton LTR. They're far better cameras with much greater support available.

Honestly, if you wanted an "upgrade" and don't care about sync sound, why not get a Bolex? I love my EBM, it has a far more steady pulldown mechanism and you can find Super 16 conversions online. It's quiet enough that with a barnie you could record sound if you really needed it. Plus the EBM is electric, so no more winding! yeay!

The K3 is honestly one of the worst cameras I've ever owned. It's SUPER cool and retro, but it pails in comparison to the Bolex.

Hi Gareth

At first I though a CP-16R would be the camera that would meet my needs. However, after further research and talking with others I concluded what Tyler suggested. I have been saving a little more in hopes of finding a fairly priced ARRI 16SR package.

Don't mean to stray from your topic. However, since you mentioned having to repair Super 8 cameras, would you happen to have any disassembly info on the Canon 1014 XLS? I have one that was working well. Now the pull down claw seems to work when it wants. Sometimes it operates. Sometimes it moves and stops almost immediately, and won't start up again for a while.

Hello,

Thanks for the constructive replies. While you are all on the button, and your thoughts make sense, I still struggle with letting a camera pass me by when just a few years ago they were beyond my reach. But, as my wife says, "you're a film maker, not a collector" Now if I could only stop life interfering with the creative process...

And I guess once I finish off my old double perf stock, I won't want to shoot 4/3 again... I considered getting a Bolex years ago, but opted for the K-3 for a few reasons, they are heaps cheaper, simple enough that I can repair them, cheap to purchase quality glass, cheap and easy to convert to Super16 and sturdy. And I reckon I would be better spending top dollar on good lenses than camera bodies.

Evan, I have not come across your pull down claw problem with my own cameras. My site does not go that deep into the "guts" of the camera. I have a link to a Japanese bloke who does go that deep: http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/advanced-camera-repair.php

Be careful if you do decide to dismantle that far, as you will be removing alot of parts just to get to the claw I think...

cheers, Gareth

Edited by Gareth Blackstock

• Premium Member

Main issue for me with CP-12 is simply repair. When it breaks, and it will, you'll have to have a few of these on hand for spare parts. Starting to feel that way about Aaton cameras too...There just seem to be more Arri repair people and parts available.