Best light on planet earth

Randy Walsh

The Maxie Brute is by far,the prettiest light I've ever worked with. I know- it's got its issues, but in the end, on screen- the image, the light from the carbon arch has never (in my mind) been duplicated. I'd buy one today if I knew I could get the carbons.

• Upvote 1

The Maxie Brute is by far,the prettiest light I've ever worked with. I know- it's got its issues, but in the end, on screen- the image, the light from the carbon arch has never (in my mind) been duplicated. I'd buy one today if I knew I could get the carbons.

I'm not sure what you are saying. You like maxi brutes or brute arcs? Brute arcs use carbons and was the daylight option before HMI's. The basic maxi brutes have 9-1k bulbs but there is the 6 and 12 bulb variant. There are other wattage bulbs available and the different very narrow to spot beams.

• Premium Member

True.

On the other hand, the last time I tried to rent a carbon arc from Mole in LA, the hateful lady on the phone basically told me that because no electrician existed in the world that was trained to operate it, they would not rent it to me. When I advised I had such, Mole basically told me the electrician would have to verify with them the operation of the lamp. I don't understand how some companies stay in business.

They declined to rent to a large EU production trying to source as many carbon arcs as possible for the same reason... The problem is not finding rods, the problem is getting your hands on a unit!

Carbon arcs are not hard to run. You just need a genny van, lots of heavy cable, and to make sure your buddy didn't replace a carbon with a stick...

On the other hand, the last time I tried to rent a carbon arc from Mole in LA, the hateful lady on the phone basically told me that because no electrician existed in the world that was trained to operate it, they would not rent it to me. When I advised I had such, Mole basically told me the electrician would have to verify with them the operation of the lamp. I don't understand how some companies stay in business.

They declined to rent to a large EU production trying to source as many carbon arcs as possible for the same reason... The problem is not finding rods, the problem is getting your hands on a unit!

Carbon arcs are not hard to run. You just need a genny van, lots of heavy cable, and to make sure your buddy didn't replace a carbon with a stick...

Mole ran a training class some time back. It may have been discussed here.

Do you have a written certification as a lamp operator? Issued by?

Sorry, of course I'm talking about the carbon arc.

The last time I rented one- years ago from Victor Dunkin in Dallas- there was no fuss about the operator. With all that said- I still Believe it has the best light Quality. BTW- they are wonderful with high frame rates.

I have to say the very first thing that came to mind was the Sun! By far the best bang for your buck, best color, best light! Of course, this is just me and these are all just opinions.

Davi Silveira

www.davi-silveira.com

Seattle, WA | Los Angeles | New York

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say the very first thing that came to mind was the Sun! By far the best bang for your buck, best color, best light! Of course, this is just me and these are all just opinions.

Davi Silveira

www.davi-silveira.com

Seattle, WA | Los Angeles | New York

Fortunately for us the Sun is not on planet earth.

• Upvote 1

They may not be hard to run if you have experience. Most of todays electricians do not. I'm 53 and had the opportunity to use one in the 90's with the help of older electricians at the time. So I would say a good majority of electricians who have experience with them are older than I am or retired. I haven't seen an arc on a job in New York since I worked on a David Watkin (RIP) movie Gloria in 1998.

I can't speak of the manner in which the woman on the phone spoke to you. But she has a point.

I believe Camera Service in NY(Secaucus) has them in storage if you want to give them a shot. Ask for Glenn.

Paramount in LIC probably has them or will know where you find them but I'm not sure.