IMDB Message Boards

Interesting…...

IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

• Premium Member

Interesting…...

IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

Long overdue. I don't know how much the IMDB rakes in, but if they had only hired an office full of full time moderators, and required real world IDs to confirm membership, they would have saved themselves a lot of headaches.

I can't believe the amount of libel and other flat out lying by people of all ages that takes place there. When the new Ghostbusters' movie hit the screens the racism and sexism and just flat out abuse of the cast and crew was mind boggling. I could not believe what I was reading.

People claiming to "know somebody" or claiming to be some actor, or claiming this, that or the other thing, it has been one giant mob rule session. It's like a middle school without any teachers or security. "Lord of the Flies" kind of thing.

Everytime I go to post there more often than not some guy (usually a male) zooms in with some comment that's just in flagrant violation of the rules.

I'm sorry to see it go, but at the same time, I'm actually not that sorry.

Yes, long over due. For years my page contained a profane rant from an "intern" who was angry that he couldn't move the movie camera himself. He was told only the Camera Crew could handle the camera. Finally I was able to get this anonymous post removed, but it took a long time. Good riddance.

Yeah, I think they have much bigger issues they are addressing. This is the wave now, a number of newspapers have also shut down their message boards as they are mostly used by people to argue with each other.

Hey….that sounds familiar.

R,

• Premium Member

Yeah, I think they have much bigger issues they are addressing. This is the wave now, a number of newspapers have also shut down their message boards as they are mostly used by people to argue with each other.

Hey….that sounds familiar.

R,

The comments on Variety and other industry sites have really gotten unprofessional and just downright rude and nasty in all forms. Blatant racism and sexism and any other "ism" you can think of mixed in with the foulest language possible, to me, says that the news industry is probably going to rethink how it tells news, and who it lets react to the stories.

Before all magazines and papers had letters to the editor. But now any foul mouthed kid with a phone can slam anyone or anything he wants, and get away with it.

David; I think they specifically said they're shutting down their message boards and private message.

• Premium Member

Have you looked at the knuckle-draggers who infest YouTube?

Oh sure. And YouTube's way more out of control than the IMDB.

Way back in the mid 80s I knew a couple of guys at Cal Poly who were well connected in the computer industry. The net was mostly universities then, and they were telling me it was going to public soon. I shook my head because I knew what was going to happen, especially if it went international. And now sure enough every website with a forum needs a max-strength can of "troll be gone".

I'm just surprised it's taken this long for anyone to realize that instant communication from everyone with an opinion isn't necessarily a good thing. In fact it's down right obnoxious.

Actual human beings are typing these things:

swsbja.png

If you ever wonder why people worry about feminism, read an A-List actress' message board and reconsider

wdfvca.png

Don't forget the predators

vcffza.png

kxxgza.png

Part of me feels it should be left up to show how much progress will still need to make as a human collective.

I'll forget 9/11 before I forget the insanity of the IMDB message boards.

2017 R.I.P.

Nah. I politely disagree with most of you. I first chanced upon imdb in 2002 and there hasn't been a single day since that i haven't spent time on there in some capacity. You are only pointing out the troll threads....what about the innumerable threads discussing cinema? The audience has unique insight and I have learnt so much through them. Any great film has some unique educative thread, and many have multiples.

I learnt the technicalities of film, the philosophy behind a film and came to see way more movies just by reading the recommendations on there. Besides I was waiting for the day random strangers would discuss my film on there. I'll miss it and it is a massive misstep by imdb.

Edited by Hrishikesh Jha
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

They've always had a confusing system of a message board and a separate users comment section -- are they getting rid of both? It sounds like they are just getting rid of the message boards...

I'll take the opportunity to thank you for all you do here.

I haven't been here long so i'm still reading through 100's

of threads. I'm not new to cinematography/photography

but sure as heck learning much from many areas here.

I'm glad it's not a troll feast here like it is on so many other boards.

Curtis

Yep, well they did it, all the message boards for each person and title are now gone.

I see people can still leave their nasty and lame reviews of a title, that is still there.

There are 1, 496 reviews of Star Wars by "people" on IMDB. Now one would have to think….does the person who wrote the 50th review honestly think anyone will read his and the remaining 1, 446 reviews?

R,

• Premium Member

Nah. I politely disagree with most of you. I first chanced upon imdb in 2002 and there hasn't been a single day since that i haven't spent time on there in some capacity. You are only pointing out the troll threads....what about the innumerable threads discussing cinema? The audience has unique insight and I have learnt so much through them. Any great film has some unique educative thread, and many have multiples.

I learnt the technicalities of film, the philosophy behind a film and came to see way more movies just by reading the recommendations on there. Besides I was waiting for the day random strangers would discuss my film on there. I'll miss it and it is a massive misstep by imdb.

I learned absolutely nothing on that board in terms of technical aspects. All the info I got from there was essentially box office stuff and studio tweaks. There was a technical forum, but it was abysmal at best.

That place was just one big giant pre-teen hangout. 10 to 12 year olds spouting off the most horrific vitriol on everyone and everything.

Good riddance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I think somewhere in IMDB's announcement was that they were searching for ways for "users to express themselves meaningfully." There seemed to be an implication that something would take their message board's place.

I can't imagine Twitter, FB or whatever else serving as forums to discuss film story points and technical or story issues. Still, I'm glad it's gone. I was one of the first to use their BBSes, and it was quiet for years with me and maybe a dozen other people posting.

Then the barbarians stormed the gates, and Rome fell. Oh well. ... I just get really disappointed that no one thinks to put some controls on, like this forum, to keep things on the up and up.

Either way, I'm sorry it's gone, but I'm also eternally glad.