Operating w/ Easy Rig & Serene Arm (No Gimbal)

Has anyone operated with an easyrig and serene arm without a gimbal? If so has the serene arm helped reduce the side to side motion when going hand held? I plan on operating a Millenium XL2 and am hoping to reduce some of the hand held look. I just don't want the hand held look to be too intense if that makes sense.

Thanks!

-Mike

• Premium Member

Hi!

I have and it helped a lot!

The difference between walking shots with the Easyrig only and the Easyrig with the Cineflow Serene is like day or night.

It also helps greatly when doing hand-held static shots.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Have a good day.

• Upvote 1

Hey Miguel,

That's all I needed to know! Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it!

Hi!

I have and it helped a lot!

The difference between walking shots with the Easyrig only and the Easyrig with the Cineflow Serene is like day or night.

It also helps greatly when doing hand-held static shots.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Have a good day.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

You're welcome!

Just take into consideration the height of the easyrig + serene when passing through doors or similar "human-size" spaces (if you have to pass through any) because of the Serene.

I don't know if you have used the Serene before but if you haven't, I would recommend going to the camera rental house and using it for a while following people, it takes a bit of time to get used to it and you might need to change the way you walk slightly.

Other than that, it is the perfect match for the easyrig.

Have a lovely day!

• 3 months later...

Hello

I am going to be shooting a short soon and was looking to use this set up.

I am hoping to have a look at it in a rental house soon, but was wondering if anyone has any examples of something they have

shot in this set up to give me an idea of how it looks.

Im also considering adding the flowcine gravity, but was interested with how the serene and handheld looked whilst walking.

Many thanks

Sam

• Premium Member

Hi Sam,

I shot this commercial 3 weeks ago and used the easyrig + serene.

There are no walking scenes but I shot a movie last January with a lot of walking scenes using the easyrig + serene and it is just great.

If you have done walking scenes with the easyrig, the serene eliminates part of the bouncing and makes everything a bit smoothier, I like it a lot.

Have a good day.

• Premium Member

Probably a little late for the OP, but you really need a lighter camera for the Serene arm to work properly. I tested it with a stripped down Alexa Studio (about 17kg all up) and it just didn't want to play ball. I've heard very good things about it when used in conjunction with camera rigs more within it's tolerances.

Hi Miguel.. a question re the Serene arm.. I have an easy rig cine 3.. and use it pretty much all the time handheld.. except for long walking shots as you get a sideways "sway" from the easy rig .. the Serena is designed to minimize the up and down bounce.. but your saying it also helps for the side to side movement ,found with easy rig walking shots..?

Interesting if it does.. as I find thats the main problem with working with an easy rig .. the place I bought it from has a deal with the Serene and they will attach it for free to your existing rig.. love to hear your feed back about side ways sway /walking shots..

Thanks for your replies

I am looking to use it ideally with an Alexa mini, but do you think it would be ok with an Amira?

the commercial looks really great Miguel, be also interested to hear your thoughts on the side way sway.

Thats why i was wondering if the Flowcine Gravity one was also needed to eliminate that or if is ok with just the Serene.

Many thanks

Sam

• Premium Member

Hi!

It doesn't take away the pendulum effect totally but it reduces it a bit, plus you have to practice a bit the walking with the arm before you use it.

The Flowcine Gravity seems to be the tool if you want to reduce almost completely (or completely) the pendulum effect.

Pretty sure you saw this video already but I will put it here just in case somebody else is interested.

Robin, if you can afford the Serene, buy it, it is a great tool, unless you are in super tight spaces with extremely small doors.. in which case, you will keep hitting the frame of the door.

Have a good day!

• Premium Member

Ah! you're more than welcome Robin.

Regarding the question about the bag, I have no idea! As a 2nd AC I never knew how to put the damn easy rig back in the bag correctly hahaha and nowadays I still have the same problem.

To be honest, I have always received the easyrig + serene with the "pole" of the easyrig out of the bag.

If you can wait I'll take a photo of the setup in a couple of weeks as I'm using it again then and will be able to answer that question properly

Have a good day!

Ah! you're more than welcome Robin.

Regarding the question about the bag, I have no idea! As a 2nd AC I never knew how to put the damn easy rig back in the bag correctly hahaha and nowadays I still have the same problem.

To be honest, I have always received the easyrig + serene with the "pole" of the easyrig out of the bag.

If you can wait I'll take a photo of the setup in a couple of weeks as I'm using it again then and will be able to answer that question properly

Have a good day!

haha ..ok no worries... I can see from the pic,s of the rig it wouldn't fit into the standard ER bag.. maybe they make another for that set up ..didnt like the easy rig to begin with and as you say.. you do have to adjust to it a bit.. but now I find being able to hold longer lens shots hand held a big advantage.. besides saving my back !