Genesis with non-PV SSR external recorder?

Jay Young

• Premium Member

Does anyone have any experience shooting on the Genesis with an alternate external recorder? We all feel a file based workflow would be best, and I'm sure I can find any of the new SDI 4444 ProRes XQ recorders that will work, however I have no idea what kind of signal gets output from the camera.

We can't afford an Alexa cause they're popular. I love the look out of the Genesis and am working with PV to try to put a package together that works with the budget.

• Premium Member

I have no knowledge of Genesis specifically, although there are plenty of F35s in private ownership and that may have some relevance. From what I've read, you can record conventional material, but special tricks such as speed changes may require special support from the recorder, or a bit of fairly straightforward postproduction work to remove duplicate frames, for instance.

As I say, I don't know and it may not be possible at all, but that's the sort of situation you may encounter.

P

• Premium Member

The key to the F35's resurgence is the 'Interface Box', which provides dual XLR inputs for audio, and dual-link HD-SDI ports for 12-bit 4:4:4 output (and the full quality that the camera is capable of).

Without that interface box, you're left with only a 10-bit 4:2:2 monitoring feed to record from. Now the Genesis doesn't do 12-bit, only 10-bit 4:4:4, but accessing the full-quality of that signal will depend on being able to source a dual-link SDI feed from the camera head (and then will also depend on whether something like the Odyssey 7Q is actually able to understand, record and recompile that dual-link feed on the fly.

I haven't used the Genesis myself, but the important question will be whether that dual-link feed is on the camera head, if it's not, then you're stuck with either using the onboard recorder, or recording just the monitoring feed (which, again, may be your only off board recording option anyway if the O7Q doesn't like the dual-link signal it may or may not be putting out).

• Premium Member

The key to the F35's resurgence is the 'Interface Box', which provides dual XLR inputs for audio, and dual-link HD-SDI ports for 12-bit 4:4:4 output (and the full quality that the camera is capable of).

Without that interface box, you're left with only a 10-bit 4:2:2 monitoring feed to record from. Now the Genesis doesn't do 12-bit, only 10-bit 4:4:4, but accessing the full-quality of that signal will depend on being able to source a dual-link SDI feed from the camera head (and then will also depend on whether something like the Odyssey 7Q is actually able to understand, record and recompile that dual-link feed on the fly.

I haven't used the Genesis myself, but the important question will be whether that dual-link feed is on the camera head, if it's not, then you're stuck with either using the onboard recorder, or recording just the monitoring feed (which, again, may be your only off board recording option anyway

if the O7Q doesn't like the dual-link signal it may or may not be putting out).

Yes, I am still waiting email back from PV. I read some documentation that states there is a SDI plate which attaches where the recorder would normally sit and provides SDI breakout - but as usual, Panavision material with actual information is hard to come by. If the breakout box actually has a dual link output, and the recorder box I would use can understand it, then I suppose all is well?

Guess I'll have to find out the hard way.

• Premium Member

If the breakout box actually has a dual link output, and the recorder box I would use can understand it, then I suppose all is well?

I would say that's basically it. The only real way you're going to find out is to bring a dual-link recorder with you to Panavision and rig the camera up, see if it works.

Another option that might function as a workaround (if the dual-link signal is a problem) is to get an SDI multiplexer that can take the dual-link SDI signal and parse it into a single 3G-SDI signal. That would open up a lot of options recorder-wise, but it's more gack and cables to add to the setup.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I've heard of people shooting in used genesis' or regular F35 bodies with the Blackmagic video assist 4K or the Oddesy monitor recorder to get 4:4:4 out of it. Always wondered if there were any internal modifications to the image block in the genesis from the F35 like how they changed things in the F900 for their HD900F? I honestly think their partnership with Sony was great! I think they panavised the F55 as well?