Best Film Labs in Uk & Europe

Hi everyone,

Excuse me for this sort of generalistic topic but I'm curious about the results of the question.

Which film lab and which scanning process would you consider the best? particularly for S16mm developing / scanning...

I own a Sr3 and I did my own research, finally I chose a UK lab due to its price, although they don't offer the Arriscan (and probably I wouldn't be able to pay for that) so a 2K DPX is what I do... also I wanted to know if there were any noticeable differences between a Cintel or a Spirit scanner.

Thanks anyone for your replies, trying to gather more technical information about this issue...

All the best with your projects!

A.

Ps. I'm adding also a couple of example of projects shot in S16mm ( 2K DPX scans ). Both shot in KV3 7219 500T. Difficult to judge regarding my topic, but any comments or opinions would be great to read!

http://albertobanares.com/works/now/

https://vimeo.com/202910294

• Site Sponsor

No real scope on which film lab in Europe is "best" but the Spirit-2K is a very good true RGB scanner and the BlackMagic Cintel scanner is really sub par for 16mm, it does not even scan at 2K for 16mm.

Not sure why a lab would buy one except for 35mm dailies, and even then LaserGraphics offers a 5K Scan Station with 2.5K 16mm scans for just a bit more than the new Cintel.

iDailies in London is supposed to be good and the Spirit-2K gives just as good a picture is almost if not all aspect as the Arriscan.

iDalies is now Kodak, so you have to go directly to them, the other main one is Cinelab, I have had mixed results with cinelab and from what I hear they have two spirit scanners and one is in better condition than another so I think it's a 50 50 chance thing.

Mixed results being - one clip being bright blue and then being told it was a filter issue on my side, daylight stock, and only straight NDs and 85's on set and my loader was meticulous in his notes so turned out to be a bad scan, also previous scan had a lot of pink through the log, but overall, issues resolved and footage now looks fine - Neg has always been fine.

Yet to use Kodak direct but will be putting 40 rolls through them in the next two weeks so can update then.

Hope that helps

No real scope on which film lab in Europe is "best" but the Spirit-2K is a very good true RGB scanner and the BlackMagic Cintel scanner is really sub par for 16mm, it does not even scan at 2K for 16mm.

Not sure why a lab would buy one except for 35mm dailies, and even then LaserGraphics offers a 5K Scan Station with 2.5K 16mm scans for just a bit more than the new Cintel.

iDailies in London is supposed to be good and the Spirit-2K gives just as good a picture is almost if not all aspect as the Arriscan.

Thanks Robert,

My projects have been scanned with the Spirit at I Dailies and I'm happy with the results. It's good to know about the LaserGraphics, as I personally hadn't heard anything about it. Just checked their website and it looks a very interesting option.

All the best,

A.

iDalies is now Kodak, so you have to go directly to them, the other main one is Cinelab, I have had mixed results with cinelab and from what I hear they have two spirit scanners and one is in better condition than another so I think it's a 50 50 chance thing.

Mixed results being - one clip being bright blue and then being told it was a filter issue on my side, daylight stock, and only straight NDs and 85's on set and my loader was meticulous in his notes so turned out to be a bad scan, also previous scan had a lot of pink through the log, but overall, issues resolved and footage now looks fine - Neg has always been fine.

Yet to use Kodak direct but will be putting 40 rolls through them in the next two weeks so can update then.

Hope that helps

Hey Jordan,

Thanks for your reply. I've been using I Dailies - Now Kodak Lab - and I've been very satisfied with the results. I haven't used Cinelab UK, 'though. I'm curious about the Cinelab in Rumania as they seem to work consistently. In my case, I found that the best solution, due to the small amount of rolls, was to scan everything at 2K on 4:4:4 DPX files. I'd love to test out the Arriscan vs the Spirit at 2K in order to know their differences...

Good luck with your project! 40 rolls are a nice amount of exposed film!

Best,

A.