What Type of 16mm Film to Feed My Arri?

Mark Day

Well, here I go again, more stupid questions. From what I understand, I can forget about purchasing Kodachrome. It can't be processed anymore, right? Next, how about Ektachrome? Can it still be processed? I'm only interested in these films 'cause sometimes you can find outdated films at a very cheap price and I was just going to use them for practice purposes before I purchased the good stuff. Finally, I see 16mm films advertised as perforated on the "A" side and films perforated on the "B" side. I have an Arriflex 16S. Which one do I use? Can I use 16mm film perforated on both sides.

Thanks guys, ya'll have been a great help.

Edited by Mark Day

• Premium Member

As long as you find the E-6 process indication with an Ektachrome stock it can be so processed. There are still many labs around where one does this.

There is not an A and a B side to the film. We speak of A and B winding. It’s about the orientation of the asymmetric film on core or spool. Photographic coating wound in, film unrolling towards you and downwards, perforation on the left is A wind. The other side is B wind, what you need for your camera. EI stands for Emulsion IN, EO for Emulsion OUT in this respect but we better speak of coating, not emulsion. Emulsion was always the false expression, the chemist speaks of a dispersion.

So much for now from Santa Clause

As long as you find the E-6 process indication with an Ektachrome stock it can be so processed. There are still many labs around where one does this.

There is not an A and a B side to the film. We speak of A and B winding. It’s about the orientation of the asymmetric film on core or spool. Photographic coating wound in, film unrolling towards you and downwards, perforation on the left is A wind. The other side is B wind, what you need for your camera. EI stands for Emulsion IN, EO for Emulsion OUT in this respect but we better speak of coating, not emulsion. Emulsion was always the false expression, the chemist speaks of a dispersion.

So much for now from Santa Clause

Thanks!