Share your still photography

Satsuki Murashige

• Premium Member

I think it's always interesting to see how a cinematographer's eye translates to the still image. I find when shooting stills, a large portion of my compositions are either vertical or square rather than horizontal. How about you guys?

32246168713_8e01869c69_o.jpg

Sutro Baths, San Francisco, CA.

It would be great if we could stick to still photography and avoid posting frame grabs from motion projects in this thread.

• Upvote 1

Had to make a flickr account (I couldn't get the photos to show up below so you'll have to follow the link), and I'm a non-professional with non-professional equipment, but:

https://flic.kr/p/S97pR7

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152564260@N03/6PgVT0

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152564260@N03/qj0s74

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152564260@N03/0uK3ed

• Premium Member

Had to make a flickr account (I couldn't get the photos to show up below so you'll have to follow the link)

Mine are on Flickr too! If you navigate to the picture and click on the 'share photo' button on the bottom right (looks like a right turn symbol), you can host the image by copy/pasting the BBCode link into your post here. Let's do this!!

• Upvote 1

These are from a lake house I lived in last year. We had been swimming all day and it started to rain and I captured this lovely lighting and the rain falling.

lakehouse-cell2.jpg

lakehouse-cell.jpg

Edited by T Sanders
  • Upvote 1

Took some stills for an audio recording tutorial. Here's some I never ended up using:

xshsrt.jpg

zlvmlt.jpg

I had Canon DSLRs for years but sold them for video cameras. Recently bought a 20D with battery grip for $120 and have been trying my hand at a stills camera with no video features at all.

• 3 months later...

Wow great work everyone!! Thank you Satsuki for starting this post and I love your Sutro Baths...Clint's flower, T Sanders' Lake House & Mack's Self Portrait w Audio Equipment are great too!! Here's one of mine.

post-69764-0-57623600-1497725525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raissa Contreras
  • Upvote 1

Wow great work everyone!! Thank you Satsuki for starting this post and I love your Sutro Baths...Clint's flower, T Sanders' Lake House & Mack's Self Portrait w Audio Equipment are great too!! Here's one of mine.

Thanks. Great Photo! How did you get this kind of shot? :D

• Premium Member

I usually crop my still photographs of landscapes to 2:1, but I don't have access to my normal computer on location here in NYC, so here are some recent photos I took, which were left uncropped:

Sony A6500:

photo1.jpg

Nikon D600:

photo2.jpg

• Premium Member

Here are some of my 2:1 photos:

Sony A6500:

photo3.jpg
Sony A6500:
photo4.jpg
My last job in the early spring was in New Mexico, so I have some good landscape shots from that time, most are 2:1, but they are on my home computer in Los Angeles.
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I have three cameras -- a full-frame Nikon D600, an APS-C Sony A6500, and my iPhone 7. When I plan to go out to take photos, I usually take my Nikon with me, but when I'm at work or just walking around the city, I just carry my Sony A6500 (which is also what I take on vacations, actually I took the Sony NEX6 until I bought the A6500 last month). But sometimes I just see something that I snap quickly with my iPhone.

Given the lower quality of the iPhone images, I tend to manipulate them using the Snapseed app, which is fun. Here are two:

photo5.jpg
photo6.jpg

Obviously these are fantastic David. I especially liked the first two.

Is there a reason you like to crop to 2:1 (other than personal preference obviously)?

What lenses do you use on your Sonys and Nikon? Do you use any of the lenses they make for phones (particularly the iPhone)?

• Premium Member

I usually just walk around with a zoom, the small pancake Sony 16-50mm zoom on the Sony A6500 and the Nikon 24-70mm on the Nikon D600. I have some primes for low-light shooting but when I compared the zooms to primes, I found center sharpness to be the same above f/4 or f/5.6, it was just the corner sharpness where the primes were better (of course if I need to shoot at f/2.8 or wider, I have to use the primes.)

Funny thing is that around the house, which can get dark, I always have the Nikon D600 with a 50mm Nikkor sitting on the desk, so most of my shots of my pets are done with that -- only the best for my beagle Mabel! Actually the wider dynamic range of the Nikon in raw mode helps when taking pictures of my beagle because the areas of white fur tend to clip quickly on most digital cameras.

I usually just record jpegs on my Sony A6500 and the Sony NEX6 before that, partly just to save on storage space because I treat the camera more as something for casual snapshots, but also because the Sony raw converter is a terrible piece of software compared to the Nikon raw converter. So instead I shoot jpegs with the contrast lowered in the picture profile as far as it can go.

As for 2:1, I just like the dimensions for landscapes. I tend to compose and shoot two versions, 3:2 (full frame) and 2:1 (cropped) though it's just a guess, I don't have 2:1 frame lines in my camera. I used to crop to 2.35 : 1 for a CinemaScope frame but I found it easier to figure out how to crop to 2:1 in Photoshop Elements -- if the ruler says the photo is 17" wide, then I just have to crop the vertical to around 8.5"...

• Upvote 2