rotate the camera 180 degrees on a tripod method?

David Schuurman

Hey folks, I have a shot coming up where I need to start with the camera upside down and then rotate it back to normal. Is there any methods for doing this that I can accomplish cheaply?
I thought about putting two piece of angle bracket on either side of a lazy suzan and mounting to a tripod. will this work or possibly be too shaky?

Would love some insight.

Thanks!

In this country you can rent a Ronford F7 for a day for $100..

This is a personal project I wrote this weekend and we are shooting it in the morning at 6am. So $100 is still $100 over budget, and I would have nowhere to source from on a sunday. But definitely good to know for the future!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Brian, I think that's a solution that would be far out of my budget!

I actually managed to rig something up with an additional bowlless tripod head and two angle brackets. I'll post a BTS still when we use it tomorrow!

Hi David,

Did you ever post up a BTS pic?

The reason I ask is that I am going to be shooting a similar shot soon however it will be dollying out as well.

thanks

Dwayne

Hey Dwayne, here is a bts video of how I had it rigged up. worked perfectly!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-BBHEG_PBIMWk5HhGlC8akK1M4yHms-eng

thanks very much David - certainly food for thought.

So far my best idea was to use a Ronin and rotate it 90 degrees and use the controller to roll it the other 90 but have not tested it yet so not sure if it will freak out when upside down or not

thanks very much David - certainly food for thought.

So far my best idea was to use a Ronin and rotate it 90 degrees and use the controller to roll it the other 90 but have not tested it yet so not sure if it will freak out when upside down or not

hmm, I had thought about using my ronin but was concerned about that happening. it was also quite windy where we were shooting so I wanted a locked solution.