Taking apart a Meteor 17-69mm Zoom Lens

I had some pretty bad fungus on this bayonet lens so I figured I didn't have much to lose by disassembling it.

To my surprise I got it open and cleaned the fungus right off.

4 little rear elements popped out too and I think I put them back in the right order but the focusing isn't sharp at all.

I think this things been dropped at some point as I see evidence, also I hear a slight movement click if it's set anywhere but at 17mm tight.

The 4 small lenses have the inscriptions k,k, backwards N I think and what looks an I and L.

I think I've tried all permutations but maybe there's something deeper that's loose.

Any suggestions welcome.

(besides getting another lens, have that covered :) )

• Premium Member

Oops! Yes nothing worse than elements falling out so you don't know which way they go back. It's very tricky getting them back without dust and fingerprints all over them too. A small suction cup can help.

There are a lot of combinations of 4 elements if you also don't know which surface faces forward. Were there also spacers between some elements?

You might find a diagram somewhere - maybe someone like Olex Kolynychenko, who sometimes posts here, would have one if you PMed him.

The click in the zoom is probably play in a cam track, shouldn't cause a total loss of sharpness. Most likely you just have the rear elements out of order or backwards or not properly spaced. Welcome to the world of lens repair!

• 1 year later...