Create Flicker on a Fluorescent

Andrew Russo

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create flicker on a fluorescent fixture in a hospital. Normally I would dim down on the unit or change the voltage to create the desired effect, but there is no drop down ceiling and I can't get access to the ballast without pulling the entire fixture down, which might not be possible.

Has anyone used anything to flicker a fluorescent by where the bulb connects with the fixture?

My other option is to find a bad bulb which probably won't be a problem at this location, but I'm not confident that it will look right without testing it.

Any ideas?

All the best,

Andrew

• Premium Member

Use something like liite-mats in place of the floros tucked up in the fixture with their FX boxes. Not the cheapest solution

Else wire up your own floros in the fixtures and run that through a flicker box, but you'll blow a low of tubes and possible the starter as well, so you'll need spares.

Thanks Adrain, the budget is fine on this one so a Litemat is a good options. I can run it off a battery and add the flicker box that Litegear rents so that's a good call. Now I just have to see if it will all fit, but I think I'll be ok.

Edited by Andrew Russo

Phil, can you go into more detail? Again, I don't think I can take the fixture down to gain access to the ballast and there is no dropdown ceiling to try and get to it from the side. Adrian put a good idea on the table, but options are great so let me know if you think you could achieve the flicker I'm looking for.

Thanks.