Logan video look...

Evan Richards

Ok. So I saw Logan tonight. Thought it was really good. I enjoyed it very much. Glad they took a risk and did something a little darker then their usual fare. Was a fitting end to an iconic character.

So, for those of you who have seen it, did you notice the video look after both of Professor X's seizures? For maybe a minute or so after the image had a very "videoy" look. I can't put my finger on why it seemed that way though. And the people I was with didn't notice it. I asked them after.

I'm not imagining that am I? Why did it look different? I thought maybe it was shot at 60fps or something, but since there wasn't really fast motion (i.e. not a lot of motion to blur) I feel like that wouldn't have given it away.

So what made it look like video?

I'm curious to see if anyone else experienced this.

I wondered the same thing but the fact that it went on for a couple minutes after the seizures were over made me guess maybe that wasn't the case. If it was just for VFX I feel like they would have storyboarded it out enough to realize it wouldn't be needed after the seizures were over.

So do you think it was a high framerate that made it look so much like video? That was my guess as well, but I wondered if you wouldn't notice that much if there wasn't any fast motion.

• Premium Member

I only noticed the "video-y" look in the shots that the blur VFX ramped on to or out of, i.e. started normal and became seizure-y or vice versa (although I could have just missed the others). I assumed they used a slow shutter (close to 360 degree) in those shots to capture the smearing effect they would later enhance. That's what it looked like to me, although I could see it being an artifact of HFR capture as well, as having less sharpness and detail for an eventual VFX shot doesn't make too much sense.

I assume if they did shoot HFR, they'd simply blend frames and add the correct motion blur artifacts for 24p with twixtor or something similar (Douglas Trumbull had a demo of that awhile ago), but sometimes more subtle effects get overlooked on these big productions so it's not outside the realm of possibility. I'm interested to find out.

Tristan

Cool, I wanted to read something on the film and was surprised to see no article in the March issue, guess it's April. And what you guys are talking about, I assume is only the slow shutter as Tristan said, DOFP was full of it, Phil's answer though leads me to think it might be something else? Anyway, those sequences looked very cool, the smeary motion blur kept going sometimes for a few seconds, but nothing too bad.

I figured it was just my perception re-attuning after watching the crazy stuttering blur effect during the seizure sequence. After that, just about anything would look butter smooth and video-like.