Super-16 question; cost effectiveness

George Ebersole

Well actually, almost every movie has noise reduction, film or digital.

I've been authoring DVDs since 2000, and Blu-rays since 2007, with about 1000 titles under my belt. There may be a few labels that still do this, but saying "almost every movie" is way over the top.

In 17 years, we've never used noise reduction on any discs we've authored. We don't do it on film scans or when grading unless the client insists, and in those cases, we've requested that we not be listed in the credits.

-perry

• Premium Member

In 17 years, we've never used noise reduction on any discs we've authored. We don't do it on film scans or when grading unless the client insists, and in those cases, we've requested that we not be listed in the credits.

And that is correct, it's not done in the authoring bay, it's done in the coloring bay.

And that is correct, it's not done in the authoring bay, it's done in the coloring bay.

Not here, and not with any of the clients we've authored DVDs or Blu-rays for who handled their own transfers and/or color or restoration.

I could easily list 50-60 titles off the top of my head from the past couple of years that I know for a fact to not have had any noise reduction applied anywhere in the pipeline from film to Blu-ray and/or streaming.

My point is that making blanket statements about this kind of thing is not a good idea, because what you're saying is demonstrably untrue.

-perry

Edited by Perry Paolantonio
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I've seen slight touches of noise reduction used from time to time...generally rare and for artistic reasons more often than technical/compression optimization reasons.

But less now that film grain is a badge of honor and evidence of you spending more money on a project. :)

My thought would be that if you NEED grain reduction, you probably exposed the film poorly or shouldn't have shot film on the project.

I've seen slight touches of noise reduction used from time to time...generally rare and for artistic reasons more often than technical/compression optimization reasons.

But less now that film grain is a badge of honor and evidence of you spending more money on a project. :)

My thought would be that if you NEED grain reduction, you probably exposed the film poorly or shouldn't have shot film on the project.

Agreed!

• Premium Member

You can believe what you'd like. It would be to everyone's benefit though, if you didn't go around spreading misinformation.

There is no misinformation being spread by myself.

There isn't a single hollywood/commercial movie on DVD or BluRay that hasn't gone through noise reduction of some kind. They just don't exist! Digital OR film, it doesn't matter.

I know this because 1) I've worked on them and 2) I've actually worked with dailies that aren't corrected. So I can compare and contrast camera dailies with final output.