The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

• Premium Member

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

I just received this article in my Panavision inbox about the cinematography of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel:

https://www.panavision.com/making-mrs-maisel-look-marvelous

I don't recall anyone here mentioning it at the time, but Mr Mullen received an Emmy nomination this year for his work on this series. Belated congratulations David! Some of this year's season was shot in Paris, I understand, which must have been fun!

Unfortunately I don't have access to the streaming service that show Mrs Maisel here in Australia, so I haven't seen it yet. I may have to bite the bullet and subscribe.

• Upvote 1

Watching what I think was ep 7 (the one that Rufus Sewell is going to win an Emmy for is what we're already calling it) last night, we were laughing so hard and long that I think we missed a third of the jokes. It made me think of ANNIE HALL, where they had to keep adding more dead space after previews to keep the cocaine-sneezing laughter from wiping out the next scene!

• Premium Member

Its great... Eric Moynier did a wonderful job shooting that one is some hard-to-light locations, like McSorleys Ale House. I wish I had gotten to meet Rufus Sewell I didnt realize he had been cast until I was watching dailies!

(Excuse the lack of punctuation when I write posts from my iPhone)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Happy to say...for a change....saw this from season 1 and loved it before I realised it was shot by Mr Mullen.....so i didn't love it cos of him I loved it anyway....the charisma of the leading lady and her sidekick is fantastic and the parents of the main character as well.....love the acting.....the true masterpiece is the Love Witch for me....

• Premium Member

Great interview! Thanks for sharing David, and congrats on all your success with this hilarious and beautifully crafted show. 

As an aside, one of my dream projects is shooting for Amazon right now in Czech Republic, ‘The Wheel of Time’ fantasy series. I always thought you would have been a perfect DP to take on the show, given it’s epic scope and your love of classic anamorphic widescreen photography. All this to say, if they call you for season 2 and you can get time away from ‘Masiel’, you should go for it!

• Like 1