GIC camera 24 fps ?

Doug Palmer

I've been having fun with a little GIC 16mm camera. Very impressed with the compactness and steady image, and the fact it takes 50ft spools, also c-mount. Not so happy though with its slow 16fps speed. I was wondering whether anybody here has converted the GIC to 24 fps ? And if so how :)

post-29820-0-64592300-1490092157_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

I think it was Richard Tuohy who asked me to try to convert his 16mm GIC to 24fps some years ago. I added some springs to the mechanical governor and got it close, but it was hard to get it to run at exactly 24 from memory. With enough time to keep experimenting with different springs or try some other modification to the governor you could probably get there, but I didn't have the luxury of endless time and I think Richard was happy just to get close. Wonder if he still uses it..

They certainly are one of the most compact 16mm cameras out there, and C mount to boot. I always wanted to try and make a widescreen 8mm version by replacing the inner mechanism of a 16mm model with that of the 8mm model (which is identical in size) as a more portable type of Ultrapan 8.

I think it was Richard Tuohy who asked me to try to convert his 16mm GIC to 24fps some years ago. I added some springs to the mechanical governor and got it close, but it was hard to get it to run at exactly 24 from memory. With enough time to keep experimenting with different springs or try some other modification to the governor you could probably get there, but I didn't have the luxury of endless time and I think Richard was happy just to get close. Wonder if he still uses it..

They certainly are one of the most compact 16mm cameras out there, and C mount to boot. I always wanted to try and make a widescreen 8mm version by replacing the inner mechanism of a 16mm model with that of the 8mm model (which is identical in size) as a more portable type of Ultrapan 8.

post-29820-0-97003900-1490261572_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this Dom. I just happen to have another GIC that has the innards out ! (Some problem with the release) So from this photo would you say it's that pair of cylindrical objects that need tackling ? Just one is half-visible near the centre, or am I wrong. But if so, is it possible to add springs as you suggest, without dismantling the whole mechanism. Or is it more involved than that. And I'm not really clear how they should look after modification.

It would be nice to get my other GIC and perhaps this one too, running somewhere near 24fps. But I don't feel capable of dismantling further and getting the whole thing back and running again ! Any help or thoughts appreciated. Or maybe you offer these kind of services still ? Apart from the slow speed I think the GIC is a great little camera, and would be good for carrying around in one's pocket ready to grab those moments missed by larger 16mm cameras. And even if I can't get 24, I'll probably still use it in this way, and maybe widen the gate to U16.

• Premium Member

That could be it, must be nearly 10 years ago I did this. From memory the governor has two little sprung arms that open out further the faster it spins until they hit the outer ring, so if you can increase the spring force that holds the arms in, the governed speed will be faster. You would need to get the whole mechanism out, but maybe not go as far as separating the mechanism plates. I think I just added some extra springs somehow to those arms..

I still occasionally take on these sorts of jobs, but it's a long way to Melbourne from anywhere outside of Australia. I'm sure someone more local to you could do it, it's not particularly difficult for someone handy with mechanical things.

Thanks Dom. I'll try and get my head round that governor. Maybe try something on the mechanism I have taken out. Although I'm definitely not going to dismantle further... past bad experiences ! And if I can't get anywhere maybe I'll simply use the camera for grabbing shots that are not dependent so much on the faster running speed.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/14/2018 at 3:20 AM, Doug Palmer said:

Well thanks to Simon in Switzerland I'm now the happy owner of a GIC 16mm camera that runs at very nearly 24 !

https://filmisfine.com/blog/16mm-exploits-with-the-g-i-c-camera/

I just got my hands on a GIC and I'm happy with the 16fps - but I'm just now doing my first test shoot with it. I am guesstimating that the exposure time will be about 1/30th, but I think the shutter angle is smaller than 180 so maybe it's shorter?