Need help in grading a Romcom film.

mailesan

Hi,

Im a DP from India. Recently just finished shooting a romcom movie. Shot on Arri alexa XT with Ultra prime lens in Arri Raw. As far as production design and lighting is concern i have tried my level best to get that less contrast and bright happy look in the camera (please find the teaser of the film link below). But when it comes to grading table i some how I'm not completely happy with grading. please give me your opinion about the teaser grading and can some one help me how to go about with grading. i will grading in Baselight.

Teaser of my film -

Look I'm after -

Thanks

Miles R

Hi Macks Fiiod.

Thanks for your reply. I can't share stills yet cos i don't have permission to do so. But I'm looking for the kind of polished look in the Spanish film for my trailer (refer link below). I feel something is missing in my grading which is why I'm not being able to achieve said look. Can you please explain to me the best workflow of Baselight for Arri RAW. What I have noticed is that my grader or colorist works in P3 work space which I feel makes the image look bad. Is that the right way to go about it ? I don't have much knowledge regarding the grading & DI process so any help will be much appreciated. I am a self taught DP.

if you compare both the images there is a certain finished look to the Spanish film which is not there in mine.

http://imgur.com/a/sqNlE

does this look more the way you imagined? I've just added some contrast, with curves and some saturation. I'm trying to illustrate why you need a "punchy" contrast for the bright happy look :)

post-4387-0-71973000-1490198645_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bruce Greene

does this look more the way you imagined? I've just added some contrast, with curves and some saturation. I'm trying to illustrate why you need a "punchy" contrast for the bright happy look :)

Sir thank you so much for the effort. but the look i'm after is in the link - http://imgur.com/a/MqNfP . It will be great if you know any LUT which i can use to get this look.

Sir thank you so much for the effort. but the look i'm after is in the link - http://imgur.com/a/MqNfP . It will be great if you know any LUT which i can use to get this look.

Your photography looks very nice. You should have no problem getting what you want. There is no LUT for this, just adjust the controls to your taste. Are you grading yourself? Or, do you have a colorist that you are working with?

Your photography looks very nice. You should have no problem getting what you want. There is no LUT for this, just adjust the controls to your taste. Are you grading yourself? Or, do you have a colorist that you are working with?

Thank you. I do have colorist and i have given reference but he is not able to get the look i want. we are grading the film in Base Light.

Thank you. I do have colorist and i have given reference but he is not able to get the look i want. we are grading the film in Base Light.

The grading software will not make any difference to the look of the movie. If your colorist can not please you, you might need to find a new one. I really like your photography by the way :) On my recent romcoms, my director likes the punchier colorful look and I must please him of course...

For our movies, I've not found a good colorist in that our producer will pay for, and I've ended up doing the work myself, but it's a lot of work with more stress than shooting the movie. But I've learned a lot!!!

The grading software will not make any difference to the look of the movie. If your colorist can not please you, you might need to find a new one. I really like your photography by the way :) On my recent romcoms, my director likes the punchier colorful look and I must please him of course...

For our movies, I've not found a good colorist in that our producer will pay for, and I've ended up doing the work myself, but it's a lot of work with more stress than shooting the movie. But I've learned a lot!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time out for me. Much appreciated.