Pentaflex AK16 User Manual -Translated

Gareth Blackstock

Hello,

After recently buying a Pentaflex, I searched around for an English version of the user manual and found nothing. So I decided to translate one an upload a copy. I have uploaded a copy for download on this site:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/glwq8eyin8h7w27/Pentaflex+AK16+Operation+Manual.pdf

When you click on the link, a window will open. On the "download now" button, right click with your mouse and select "save link as.." It is a safe download, no junk or spam. On my job I do some night shifts, so a few hours work helped pass the time.

I updated my site with pictures and info of the basic lube and adjustment of my Pentaflex.

http://canon-s8-repair.yolasite.com/pentaflex-ak16.php

I hope the site and manual help out future Pentaflex buyers and users.

cheers, Gareth

Edited by Gareth Blackstock

Wow, we sure could've used this manual years ago when I owned two of these cameras. We ordered them off of eBay from Russia, and we had to take it to Whites in Vancouver where we all marveled over it and the techs literally tinkered with it until we figured out how to load the film and operate it for the first time. It's pretty intuitive though, we figured it out quickly. I've since resold them both but they were rugged and worked great.

My first feature was shot using two of these cameras and their lenses for a vintage look. We used Fuji's Eterna Vivid 500 for everything but the daytime shots. Here's what the camera and its lenses look like:

https://vimeo.com/157962480

G'day,

I have a Pentovar 16 combo coming in the mail, and heaps of old Ektachrome reversal to shoot, cannot wait to shoot. When I come down to Melbourne I will drop in with the camera, hopefully the lens is ion good condition.

Jeff, I had a look at your footage, and it looks pretty sweet. How was the footage before any post work was done on it? Any issues with the film cassettes?

cheers, Gareth

The cassettes made the camera super convenient, as you could hot swap them even if they're partially shot as there's no direct threading in the camera body itself. Also, since it uses 100' daylight spools, you can load in low light as opposed to total darkness. The only real downside is the cassettes can be a little noisy when filming, and there is occasionally some intermittent film base scratching as was common when you look at footage from those 16mm cameras from the 1950's. It was rare though and never ruined footage. Heck, nowadays kids are using digital effects to add scratches and grain like that!