Combo stands direct from China?

As I already do sound seriously, I'd like to get into the lucrative career of sound gripping, thus looking at grip gear to get... specifically these combo stands on Aliexpress (sorry, I can't afford anything better on my $10/day rate!). Anybody tried them before, what do they think of them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4m-studio-Combo-Stand-Tripod-Load-20kg-for-Light-2k-5k-HMI-Compact-Par-1-2k/32265490574.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PRO-3-4m-Combo-Stand-Tripod-load-40kg-for-Spotlight-5K-HMI-4K-M40/32796936968.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4m-Studio-Combo-Stand-Tripod-Load-20kg-for-Light-2k-5k-HMI-Compact-Par-1-2k/32596647221.html

• Premium Member

I bought some Chinese combo stands which look approximately like the first ones you cite, although I can't guarantee they're exactly the same.

For what it's worth they seem fine. Naturally if one were making a lot of money out of them every week, one would buy a major brand, but absent the "lot of money" factor they're fine. I mean, it's a stand, how bad can it be?

Well, OK, it could fall over and dump an expensive light onto an even more expensive person, but there's a limit to how incompetent something can be, really.

In the situation where there's never any money for anything (and frequently that is literally true - there's no money for anything, at least at the low end) - this sort of thing is likely to become more and more common, and as long as it's safely handled I don't see the harm.

P

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

(sorry, I can't afford anything better on my $10/day rate!)

with a 10/day rate you should really make the producer to rent you better stands :blink: if they don't pay you anything you really should let them pay all the expenses at least and not invest your own money so that they can use the gear for free :huh:

Well, OK, it could fall over and dump an expensive light onto an even more expensive person, but there's a limit to how incompetent something can be, really.

No need for extreme incompetence here. A defective casting is enough to, say, drop an HMI and crack the globe with mercury vapor inside.

That said, I own some cheap chinese gripware, but my combos/windups which support heavy lights are "proper" brand.

career of sound gripping... you mean sound gripe .. no..?

with a 10/day rate you should really make the producer to rent you better stands :blink: if they don't pay you anything you really should let them pay all the expenses at least and not invest your own money so that they can use the gear for free :huh:

ahhhhh.... I see the latest tidal wave of memes hasn't reached this corner of the Internet, which is why you don't have a sound grip on your crews.