'Next Floor' Cinematography

• Premium Member

It certainly looks like the chandelier is the main light source in the wide shot. It's possible that they may have turned it off and augmented it with an overhead soft light in the tighter shots. Or simply softened it more with diffusion.

• Premium Member

Ah, I see. That's easily done with digital color grading. This cold cyan look was quite popular after 'The Matrix' was released, I guess they were inspired by that film?

You can reverse engineer the grade by pulling the stills into Photoshop and taking note of which Color Balance corrections it takes to get back to a 'normal' looking image. I think you'll find that adding red+yellow to the highlights (or conversely, subtracting cyan+blue) will result in the white jackets appearing 'white' and fleshtones appearing a more normal pinkish-orange. The light source will then appear more like tungsten, as it probably was on set.

• Premium Member

Here's what I mean:

post-5721-0-46657000-1490676144_thumb.jpg

post-5721-0-53647400-1490676168_thumb.jpg

I just did these on my phone very quickly with the Mill Color app, just subtracting green and blue from the highlights and midtones. It would be even simpler to do and look much better if done in a proper color grading app like Resolve. But I think this should give you an idea of how powerful and emotionally effective even very simple color grading can be.

• Upvote 1