The return of the small format magazine - in a modern way;)

Jurgen Lossau

A new Super 8 camera from Kodak, the return of Ektachrome film stock. So, is there a future for Super 8? Hope so. I am the former editor-in-chief of the small format magazine. Even in these days I get a lot of mails asking for the return of the mag. But printing and shipping is too expensive. So we thought for something different, something contemporary: The Super 8 Web Portal.

The Super 8 Web Portal is intended to bring together current filmmakers and newcomers, to present both old and new film projects and to offer a massive online archive of more than 1,000 curated small format films. Active filmmakers and gear collectors alike will find the information they need, with the world’s largest online archive of 3,900 cameras and 3,500 projectors. We just started a crowdfunding campaign to realize this idea: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1112932678/the-super-8-web-portal

Super 8 has been quiet for 30 years, but a small worldwide following of around 2,500 filmmakers is keeping the medium alive. Following traditional film photography, instant photos and vinyl records, this medium is now poised to take a ride on the retro express. Kodak has introduced a new Super 8 camera and reintroduced Ektachrome color reversal film. Ferrania (Italy) and Adox (Germany) are creating new film stocks for Super 8. Other companies are also researching and developing Super 8 cameras and film. The time has come to provide an information resource to support these developments. A portal featuring modern responsive design, which functions on home computers as well as smartphones.

What do you think about this project?

post-18818-0-63976300-1490775816_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Guest Glenn Brady

I was a subscriber to the English-language version of Smallformat, a magazine that I liked a lot. I've used Super 8 film since its introduction in 1965 and, for the same reasons that I've stuck with film, I prefer printed matter. It's tangible and more likely to last. I'd be willing to pay for a printed magazine - even an expensive one - but reluctant to pay for access to a website.

I think offering an online version is great. Without the costs of printing and shipping, you may even get more articles and info. Many people already read magazines online, and it has become much easier to do for people of different tech capabilities, a web portal is the next best thing to s paper mag.

Good luck getting it started.

Hi Andries, this is really nice. Please take the link of the kickstarter campaign. You are right: there is no official website yet.

Thanks

Juergen

Hello Jürgen,

The mail went out this morning, according to the stats half of the 800 have openend mail by now and 10 clicked your kickstart link.

A few, but of course it is photo club :)

Regards

Andries

Thanks a lot, well, we really need some more support ;). Just 10% have been funded in 4 days...

Now on some 15%. Not bad considering the small audience.

Just these forums aren't going to hack it. They have an air of worlddominance but in real-life it is slightly less. Here you have some 250 unique viewers, others far less. As mentioned in some discussion about filmsales in North-America there must be a considerable group (99% :) )who aren't on fora.

Best were to get a mention from Kodak or Spectra and pro8mm. Find emaillists from the former Smallformat publisher, Super8 today and who more. Try Fotoimpex who produce ADOX S8

Does google index kickstarter?

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Thanks for all the nice advices. Yes, we will start to contact all former readers of small format and schmalfilm and all companies in the small (format) industry ;). We have 46 backers now and need some more support so that this project will become reality. We offer these books as speical gifts for people who would like to fund our project. Have a look: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1112932678/the-super-8-web-portal

post-18818-0-80701300-1491511016_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Andries, the funding of the backers will keep things going for two years. We grant this on the kickstarter page. There is no need of some 1000 paying subscribers while operating. 500 paying subscribers from 2019 onwards would be fine. We already have some great supporters from the small format industry and some will follow. We achieved 69%, 119 backers so far. The last 10 days will show us if this project becomes reality.

Yes! Yes! Yes! If there were any doubts about the Kodak Super 8 camera or the Ektachrome film - I think that is blown away now. It took us 6 months to get this decision! Kodak supported the project and we try now to get another 9.000 Euro for the German version. Let's hope for the best. There are 8 days to go.

post-18818-0-68317000-1493839286_thumb.jpeg

A last update: +++ONLY 48 HOURS TO GO+++ The Super 8 Web Portal has collected 25,002 Euro so far, 155 backers. Thanks a lot to all who helped to bring this project into reality. The English version has been funded, but everybody can still get a subscription for the website. For the German page we still need 4,998 Euro. Will we do it? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1112932678/the-super-8-web-portal/

Funded! A big thank you to all 178 backers who supported our project with a total of Euro 26,972 - there were also a lot of companies that took advertisement packages. A minimum of seven backers came directly from this forum - as the tracking says.

We will start THE SUPER 8 WEB PORTAL end of August! Let's hope that Super 8 will have a bright future. And of course we will publish articles about the other small formats for filmmaking too ;).