Suggestions for sound absorptive fabrics "socks" for Arri SR2

Eric F Adams

• Premium Member

I've shot with the SR2 and had absolutely no problem. As with almost any film camera there's a very faint purring, inevitably, but if it's causing really serious problems, as George says, it's fault. That could be causing damage, so get it looked at.

You could, I suppose, in the most extreme circumstances, homebrew a blimp. The trick, as I understand it, is layers of harder and softer materials. I once made a very effective sound-deadening enclosure (for something other than a camera) out of some layers of vinyl flooring and upholstery foam, with the flooring serving as a hard reflective surface and the foam catching and absorbing the reflections. Effectiveness is limited by your tolerance for size, and on a camera, the need to have the viewfinder and lens, which will carry some vibration and thus sound, sticking out.

P

• Premium Member

As mentioned SR2/3 should be very very quiet when within spec--- as in quieter than even some digital cameras with fan noise. Get it serviced, and perhaps check how well it's loaded-- could be a bit of film just scratching inside the mag.

• Premium Member

Could be the film loop size too, as I seem to recall that made some difference in film transport noise. Maybe try a loop one perf smaller.

Worst case, there are barneys made for the SR cameras. Like old leather football helmets, they are. Though from what I understand, most of the noise generated is actually coming out of the lens port, which a barney won't help with.

Hmm, that's odd. That particular camera should run silently. You might want to have a tech at the local rental house check it out.

Hey George. Silent, it's not.. It has the normal purr of the ole Arri film. I guess I need to do a better job of my camera position in relation to my sound.

I've shot with the SR2 and had absolutely no problem. As with almost any film camera there's a very faint purring, inevitably, but if it's causing really serious problems, as George says, it's fault. That could be causing damage, so get it looked at.

You could, I suppose, in the most extreme circumstances, homebrew a blimp. The trick, as I understand it, is layers of harder and softer materials. I once made a very effective sound-deadening enclosure (for something other than a camera) out of some layers of vinyl flooring and upholstery foam, with the flooring serving as a hard reflective surface and the foam catching and absorbing the reflections. Effectiveness is limited by your tolerance for size, and on a camera, the need to have the viewfinder and lens, which will carry some vibration and thus sound, sticking out.

P

Thanks Phil. I get it serviced with Bernie up in New York. I am purchasing some Producer Choice sound blankets so that should help.

As mentioned SR2/3 should be very very quiet when within spec--- as in quieter than even some digital cameras with fan noise. Get it serviced, and perhaps check how well it's loaded-- could be a bit of film just scratching inside the mag.

Thanks Adrian. I will get it checked out.

Could be the film loop size too, as I seem to recall that made some difference in film transport noise. Maybe try a loop one perf smaller.

Worst case, there are barneys made for the SR cameras. Like old leather football helmets, they are. Though from what I understand, most of the noise generated is actually coming out of the lens port, which a barney won't help with.

Interesting you say that Satsuki. I have notice a difference in my film loop size. I purchase an additional mag for my next project so now i will have 3 mags. Now i can take my time and load them up just right instead of hurrying to load on set...lol.

Shouldn't take more than a minute to load/unload a mag lol.

On the SR3 at least when i'd load i'd make the loop tight to the marked line with no extra slop in it.

A minute? goodness. Now I can unload in about 2 minutes or less, but to load...I need full concentration and I take my time. I would say I average 4 to 5 minutes.

Try an optical flat filter too.. some noise is coming out the front of the lens too... as an assistant I remember some SR,,s could be pretty noisy compared to an Aaton.. usually around the gears/cogs that drives the mags.. you could get a clunking sound if they were worn .. other than that just get a blimp .. not a bad idea to have one anyway..

Edited by Robin R Probyn