Feature Film Number 5: Here We Go

Ok gentlemen I fly out tomorrow night for South Africa, again.

This time to shoot the world's first narrative feature film about the elephant poaching crisis there. Currently 30, 000 elephants a year are being killed for their ivory, a staggering number is it not?

My story is 100% fictional and written by me. However, its basis has been ripped from the headlines. My idea is to combine a conservation message and entertainment into the same film.

This is a highly ambitious project with the largest cast and crew I have worked with to date. We will shoot 100% on location thoughout South Africa. I also have the biggest international celebrity I have worked with to date in one of the lead roles . Pics once she arrives on set :)

I'm looking forward to it, should be "fun" to say the least. Stephen Whitehead is the DOP, again.

R,

post-4653-0-68608100-1491009394_thumb.jpg

Hope it goes well!

Good luck, get a bit of suncream and have a nice holidays after shooting there! :)

Hope there is a dog involved!

Nope no dog this time. Log line: American orphan boy and a giant elephant take down the elephant poachers together.

R,

Any SOUTH AFRICAN crew that wants to submit a CV may do so. Not sure what the UPM still needs? But we don't start principle until the middle of next month, so there is still time.

Thanks

R,

Dogs are so 2015 :)

I should have lot's of interesting pics from the set on this one, gonna make a really ka-boom on this one.

R,

• Premium Member

Nope no dog this time. Log line: American orphan boy and a giant elephant take down the elephant poachers together.

R,

I will cry over the dog :'(, maybe a cat? :D

Logline sounds good!

I would send you my cv if I had the South African passport already ha!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1, Sc 50, star boy crosses the river on his elephant.

Yes, he underwent extensive training before we sent him out there to cross that river bareback on an elephant.

You might be asking, why shoot so far into the script on day 1? Well water tends to just "disappear" in Africa this time of year, so I decided to shoot this scene out while the gettin was good!

R,

post-4653-0-32389500-1492004405_thumb.jpg

Here's our camera set up, Panavision 24-275, 11:1 zoom, mounted on my Arri Alexa. Proof that Panavision and Arri can work together. Panavision South Africa is supplying all the gear for this shoot and we are shooting exclusively on their lenses. Today required the zoom, we have their primes as well. My first time using Panavision gear. On this shoot we have nothing but the best of everything. :)

R,

post-4653-0-30519900-1492005338_thumb.jpg

Nice! Did Panavision supply you with a PV mount for your personal camera? I'm assuming it's a multi-cam shoot, what with all the animals?

Panavision changed the mount for me. I've never used multi cameras on any of my animal shoots, more trouble than it's worth.

R,

Sure the elephant is CGI! :P

What part of South Africa are you shooting in this time?

Right now in Bella Bella, for three weeks to start. Then we all move back to Johannesburg area.

R,