China Ball vs Bounced Light?

I oftne see DP's using china balls or space lights to bring up the ambient light in the room. Essentially, bouncing a light off the ceiling (I assume) does the same thing. I've been bouncing to bring up ambient but considering china balls. What are the advantages, if any, of using a china ball instead? Just that you have more control over the spill/throw by adding skirts? Is there any difference in the quality of light that is put out?

• Premium Member

Sort of. The problem with bouncing off ceilings is that ends up being very toppy and giving people sunken eye sockets. China balls can be brought down into the line of sight and be more flattering.

That said, they can be just as indiscriminate.

P

• Premium Member

China-balls generally won't be as over-all as bouncing into the ceiling, so you get a little bit better contrast with a china ball. They aren't as soft (not as large) as bounced off of the ceiling being a smaller physical dimension than a whole ceiling, but that can be a good thing.

I'd say you rarely want to just bang a light into the ceiling and call it a day, since you'll want to model your talent.